Color Guess??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRERS

Reaction score
This is the pregnant Miniature Merrylegs that we pulled from the auction. She is supposed to be around 8 months pregnant now (our vet said April 1st due date according to her two ultrasounds).

Does anyone have a guess on what color she is? Her summer/winter colors are very different.

Here she is in the summer when we first got her (before we knew she was in foal):

DSCN1746.jpg

Here she is in now in her winter woolies - does she look around 8 months along?:

DSCN2376.jpg

DSCN2395.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks like she could be a palomino. Many palominos (mini ones at least) look lighter in the summer than in the winter. Yours, if a palomino, is VERY light. You could get her color tested to know for sure.
default_smile.png

She looks chestnut / sorrel sabino to me
default_yes.gif

Does she have red hairs ticked in with her white? That's how the pics look to me.

Or is she a uniform cream color (then I'd say she's probably palomino)?

She looks like she may be a sabiano chestnut/sorrel turning gray. How old is she? I can sort of see red in her legs still in her summer coat. I think she is going gray. Do you know who her parents are? Is one gray?

I Agree with Jill, a chestnut sabino.

But easy enough to find out now that there is a test for it!!!

I think you have multiple sabino genes here, but you can test for the sb1.

Sabino does make sense. I have a new computer (yay, finally!) and may need to adjust the color because her coat looks gold-ish colored to me on this monitor. Now I'm really curious. Do you have any more pictures of her? Wanna get her color tested?
default_biggrin.png

I would love to get her tested
default_smile.png
It would be interesting to know what color she really is. I have no idea about her parents, we got her from auction at the end of the summer already pregnant, although the person selling her swore there was no way that she was.......HA!

We have no clue what she is bred to either. We only were able to estimate her due date by having two ultrasounds done. She was estimated at 5 months along with her first one and 8 months along by the calibrations of this one, so we're really hoping we're on target. Our vet does mostly TB's, so we had to do a little calculation work measuring the baby.

From our vet and dentist's estimates, she is about 12 years old.

Here are more pictures of her to see her coloring - these were taken at the end of August when she started to turn colors. She was so light at the end of July when we got her and then all this red coloring appeared in her coat.

DSCN2048-1.jpg

DSCN2051.jpg

DSCN2053.jpg

These are from today:

DSCN2882.jpg

DSCN2883.jpg

PS - Does she look about 8 months along? Absolutely no changes anywhere with her except the ever rounding belly. No bag development at all am or pm and sometimes I 'think' I see the baby moving, but wonder if it's actually that or just her breathing.

When can you usually see the baby move? I literally sit there and stare, lol - I think it's simply wishful thinking and my eyes playing tricks on me from staring at the same thing so long.
default_sad.png

Thanks everyone -

Steph

I have a question. Does not a Sabiano have to have some white on them, like legs,or feet, or face, or belly etc. and do they not tend to have pink skin?

This mare seems to be graying out just like any other gray. I do not see any white in her except where she is turning all white. She has 4 black hoofs, maybe a partial white on one, so therefore she can not have any white in her feet or legs except in that one small spot. A Chestnut/sorrel can also gray out just like any gray. This is where you get some of the strawberry gray coloring of Arabians. In the summer, her summer coat is more white, like younger grays, and in the winter it has a bit more coloring.

It sure would be interesteing to have her color tested as it will help us all to understand coat color better.

Personally, if she were mine, I would call her a strawberry roan until I found out for sure with color testing.

Kelly

she definately looks like a sabino mare we have. very normal to be lighter in summer than winter. She is not a strawberry roan at all. jennifer
default_saludando.gif

I'm no color expert but is that mottling on the inside of her leg in the second set of pictures? Can you get mottling with sabino or roan?

Does she have mottling when you lift up her tail or any mottling around her eyes/mouth?? I can't really tell from my computer...but I CAN tell that she is the EXACT same color as my red varnish appaloosa mare. EXACTLY!! But I think she does also look like she could be sabino...so I'm going with either red varnish appy or a sabino.

Back