Color Genetics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseMom

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting my stud and mare dna tested for color. I have no idea which ones I should get done. Here is my stud, Jay in the Dark.

thisone-2.jpg

And here is my mare, SG Blue Slippers.

JamandSlippers.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Not sure what you want to know but for sure there are things you can learn about the mare. I think all you could learn from the stallion is if he is homozygous for black (EE) but maybe someone else can add other options. Unless of course there is ANY chance he could be LWO+?? What color are the mare's sire and dam? Or what color was she before she turned gray? We got our gray mare tested for LWO (her sire is a frame overo), EE, agouti, and silver. Ours happened to test positive for all of them and homozygous for black (EE), so genetically she is a silver bay frame overo, but looks gray. I don't think you need to test for that, but you should test her and/or the stallion for tobiano. Someone must be carrying pinto genes.

Depending on whether or not you know that the stallion is Bay, I would test him for Cream...if there is a chance he could be a dark Buckskin??

The mare....well it is always hard with Grey....do you know her base colour??

If not I would test for Black and Red.

And if she is Pinto under there (the foal is the result of this breeding???) then obviously test her for LWO and if she is + then test the stallion too.

Heather can you let us know what the mare's sire and dam's color and pattern are?

That would really help us help you.

Not sure what you want to know but for sure there are things you can learn about the mare. I think all you could learn from the stallion is if he is homozygous for black (EE) but maybe someone else can add other options. Unless of course there is ANY chance he could be LWO+?? What color are the mare's sire and dam? Or what color was she before she turned gray? We got our gray mare tested for LWO (her sire is a frame overo), EE, agouti, and silver. Ours happened to test positive for all of them and homozygous for black (EE), so genetically she is a silver bay frame overo, but looks gray. I don't think you need to test for that, but you should test her and/or the stallion for tobiano. Someone must be carrying pinto genes.
The Mare's Sire is DGR (Dapple Grey?), and her Dam is SGR (Sliver Grey?)

As for Jay, his Sire is SCS (?????) and his dam is SBK (solid black?)

Not sure what the color codes mean, I'm only guessing.

Depending on whether or not you know that the stallion is Bay, I would test him for Cream...if there is a chance he could be a dark Buckskin??The mare....well it is always hard with Grey....do you know her base colour??

If not I would test for Black and Red.

And if she is Pinto under there (the foal is the result of this breeding???) then obviously test her for LWO and if she is + then test the stallion too.
Cream? Not something that I would have expected, but maybe.

The foal in the picture is not a product of this breeding, just one of Slippers previous foals.

SCS is solid Chestnut; SBK is solid Black (as you guessed); DGR is Dapple Grey (as you also guessed); and SGR is Solid Grey. Hope that helps a little!
default_wink.png

Forgot to add. I just looked at Jay's grandsire's side and have found alot of PCS. What is that? Is there a place that has the meaning of all the color codes?

Latest posts

Back