Color experts, (and I know I have been away for awhile

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintsRule

Reaction score
I have heard that UC Davis has created a test for Sabino, can someone please educate me about it? Is it acurate? What exactly does it test for? I been just so busy, that I have only been frequenting one board, and unfortuately since I raise Paints, it is a Paint board. So came back to pick your guys brains....

I will quote this from our own color expert here on the forum.
default_wink.png
:

Researchers have isolated one of the expression genes for sabino but even if the test for it is offered it will not tell you a great deal, just if your horse has that particular gene of the sabino complex. (The gene that when homozygous allows maximum white - as in totally white all over - sabino expression)

Linda is quite right it is still in it's infancy- Clydesdale's, which are all Sabino, tested negative for this- Sb1- so it is not a definite thing yet- I am afraid I am not up to speed on it- if you want more info go to

http://www.equinecolor.com/contact.html

and post a question, they will be more help than I can be.
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is directly from UC Davis:

Sabino is a generic description for a group of similar white spotting patterns. The sabino pattern is described as irregular spotting usually on the legs, belly and face, often with extensive roaning. A mutation has recently been discovered that produces one type of sabino pattern. It has been named Sabino1 as it is not present in all sabino-patterned horses. More mutations will probably be identified that account for other sabino patterns.

Sabino1 is inherited as an autosomal dominant mutation. One copy of the Sabino1 gene is expected to produce horses with two or more white legs or feet -- often with white running up the anterior part of the leg, an extensive blaze, spotting on the midsection, with jagged or roaned margins to the pattern. Horses with 2 copies of the Sabino1 gene, are at least 90% white and are referred to as Sabino-white.

Sabino1 is most commonly found in Tennessee Walking Horses. Other breeds in which this mutation has been found include: American Miniature Horses, American Paint Horses, Aztecas, Missouri Foxtrotters, Shetland Ponies, Spanish Mustangs and Pony of the Americas. Other breeds of horses that are known to have sabino patterns, such as Clydesdales and Arabians, have so far tested negative for the Sabino1 mutation, although the number of animals tested is low.

The results for the test are reported as:

N/N No evidence of altered sequence detected.

N/SB1: One copy of the Sabino1 gene detected. Horse typically may have 2 or more white legs, blaze, spots or roaning in the midsection and jagged margins around white areas.

SB1/SB1 Two copies of the Sabino1 gene detected. Complete or nearly complete white phenotype expected.

That was interesting information. I have a horse that sounds like she could be Sabino 1.

Sabino1 is inherited as an autosomal dominant mutation. One copy of the Sabino1 gene is expected to produce horses with two or more white legs or feet -- often with white running up the anterior part of the leg, an extensive blaze, spotting on the midsection, with jagged or roaned margins to the pattern. Horses with 2 copies of the Sabino1 gene, are at least 90% white and are referred to as Sabino-white.

Thanks for posting that info from UCD Judy.

Do you or anyone else know if the sabino pattern can grow or I should say, can the white pattern increase? I've had foals born started out with the wide blaze, and little belly white/leg white to appear solid or mostly solid, but as the horse ages the white starts streaking up the inside or front of the leg as the horse (from birth to say 3 years - possibly longer though.).

I would say Sabino is the one pattern that can do this as the "roaning" will increase with age and give the impression of larger areas of whit. I have had spots and freckles appear well into the third year.

This is neat! I love color genetics and it is fun to see the discoveries that are being made.

Latest posts

Back