Color-changing Pony!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyuukai

Reaction score
So when we first bought out mare she was rather black, and with some time turned into an almost smokey black shade.. and finally she is bay. No problem man, I love bays!

Her first winter we noticed she had a paint spot underneath her chest. The second spring we noticed she had some white infront of her udder and some heavy 'roaning' on her flank. Ok, that's cool. Rabicano gene, we thought. She had some white in her tail, too, and it was pretty 'skunk tail' to us.

This year we modified trace-clipped her and her roaning was even heavier on her flank, but nbd. The other day we went out to play with her and I noticed some spotting at her flank. I thought it was sweat from a distance.

fluffyl.jpg

It isn't sweat, by the way
default_laugh.png
. We did not see these spots on her right side when we clipped her. Upon further inspection we found some smaller ones on her left side hind leg, just behind where the picture stops, and also a handful of very tiny ones on one shoulder. Her roaning is VERY heavy this year and extends all the way up to her chest.

So, what do you guys think? I did check to see if maybe those spots were just some pig hairs growing in very densely and they are not, they are exactly the same length and texture of the rest of the clipped areas. She DOES have appaloosa in her pedigree! But it is very far back (or at least I feel it is) I am not familiar with appy (I know only the very basics of how it is passed) and so I am hesitant to say this is what she has going on here..

But if she does, she would be a pintaloosa and that's pretty cool
default_thumbup.gif

Seems appyish to me. How old is she? Appy spots can wait till 3 or even 5 years to fully come in. Does she have mottled skin on her lips, around her eyes?

She will be 3 years old on April 26th! Each year the white extends a little further or gets a bit heavier, so I have been wondering if she would spot out. Imagine my surprise when she appeared to do just that!

She does not have mottled skin on her eyes or lips. Her udder is a little spotty, but she does have a paint spot just in front of it so I'm not sure what caused the spotty skin there.

I have a stallion that has "eye liner" and he hides his mottled skin on his "man parts". He is an appy. His mom has mottled skin and lacing on her back and last year got a big spot on her butt above her tail and a star on her face. She too is supposed to be appy. Oh, she 7 when she got the spots.

003-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

this one is 2 years ago

missy-1.jpg

this one is last summer

tn1.jpg

I don't believe she carries sabino, though it may be possible. Besides the roaning and small belly spots she has only a small star. Her dam and sire were both overo, and the appy is on the dams side.

I thought I read somewhere that lacing was thought to be a sabino trait.

I have a sorrel mare with absolutely no appy in her background, she is sabino with lacing.

I do not know what horses would be appy in my mares line. She has mottled nose, around the eyes and in her privets. She has white feet with black stripes. She has Tinker Toys, Horse Pen, Dell Teras and JUSTABOUTA RANCHS. She is a silver dapple.

I went through and thoroughly researched my mares pedigree before I bought her, and based off of what I could find in the studbook her sire's grandsire (Bluebell Hollow's Cherokee Raindrop) and great-grandsire (Hobby Horses Little Cherokee) are both appaloosa. I could not really find any other appaloosa in her pedigree and I went back as far as I could research with her lines. It seems odd, then, to me that she should develop it at all.

But I'm not complaining if she does
default_smile.png
I can't wait to see what else she is hiding in there this year.

Latest posts

Back