Color Changing...dose it end?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennie_07

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old gelding, when he was orginaly purchased (as a weanling) his winter coat was a dark palomino with brown on the face and lower legs, I asume that was due to sun bleaching, after he shed out he was a choclate silver dapple, the dapples were clearly visible, then the next year he was a dark brown still a "choclate" color but the dapples are not vissible, and now he is still the "choclate" brown but the dapples are gone and he is getting scatterd white hairs as if he is roaning......I have never seen this much color change in a miniature and I am confused, I have no reference to who his parents were, or their color, but I just wanted to ask if any one had seen this before?
default_wacko.png
:

thanks,

Jennie

note/edit: he is a pinto if this mean any thing, (he is also in my avatar)

Last edited by a moderator:
He appears to be a Chocolate Silver Dapple (actually a shade of Silver-Black).

The white hairs he is getting are probably from Sabino....since he is a pinto. You'll find that Silver Dapples don't always have "dapples". And there are many different shades ranging from lighter silver to very dark brown. Some have dapples...some don't. Some start out with dapples, but then lose them as they age. Some only show their dapples in the spring & fall. And almost all of them change their "shades" with the seasons. :lol:

Silver Dapples are usually born a lighter "taupe" color, and with their white manes & tails, are often mistaken for Palomino.
default_yes.gif
:

Which is exactly why the term dapple should be dropped.

Silver Black Pinto says all you need to know, if the horse has dapples add Dapple to the description!!!
default_yes.gif
:

I agree the roaning is due to the markings- it will probably stop developing now and the ticking you have in the coat is all you will get.

Hopefully this will be the last of his changes!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back