Collecting Urine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
For those of you that have used the urine based mare pregnancy tests, how were you able to collect urine? I have a couple I would like to test, but I tried the putting them in a stall with fresh straw, but that never worked. I know you can have them pee in paper towel or a pad, and then squeeze the urine into something to run the test, but how would/do you attach the pad or paper towel to the mare to be sure to get it soaked when they pee? Thanks!

I have a mare that pees every time I feed she was easy to test. I did some of the samples but never heard back from them :-( so still dont know if they are bred

My dad had race horses, and after a race he was required to have a urine test. He used to sit close to the horse, rub straw together and whistle. Now i watched this and I cant say I remember to tune but it worked. Of course he had big horses. And I doubt it would help much but it might be worth a try

Oh c'mon Mona..I have this great pic in my head of you following said mare(s) around with a cup taped to a long stick! Try that?
default_wink.png
:

I wouldn't mind sitting and waiting or following them around, but heck, it is faaaar too cold outside for that this time of year! LOL!

Clean straw has always worked for me, every single time!!
Yeah, and it has always worked here too, when I didn't need a urine sample. Normally when I put the mare in a stall, she will pee, but then I am not in there with her. When I stand in the stall with her, she thinks(knows!) something's up, and won't pee! LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
What about a large training pad for a dog or the pads they have for people in the drug store can buy single there. I think $.75 cents at our drug store and fasten it around her with duck tape or will a large toddler diaper work, just thinking out loud....
default_rolleyes.gif
:

When I tested mine, after various attempts, I settled on cutting off a plastic water bottle, covering the cut edge with duct tape, and then tapeing the plastic "cup" just under the vulva with a piece of duct tape from side to side. I put a paper towel in the cup to prevent spillage.

On the web site, they show a larger 2 liter bottle fastened to a blanket, but my contraption worked well for me.

:new_shocked: HIDE??!! Behind what? Hide where? I am in an open box stall. It's like trying to hide in an empty room! LOL!
default_wink.png
: But, I was successful...at least in ONE of my attempts!

I made up two styrofoam cups for my pregnancy testing. I ran a piece of tape to both sides of the cup...and joined them together. I placed a kleenex inside each cup, so if they did pee and tipped the cup, at least I could squeeze enough from the kleenex to run the test. I ran the tape about 4-6" longer on each side of the cup.

cup.jpg

cup2.jpg

I grabbed Deelite from the pasture, brought her into the barn, tied her up, and taped the cup into position. I just used more tape, and stuck it to her fur on her hind quarters.

attached1.jpg

attached2.jpg

attached3.jpg

attached4.jpg

I put her in the stall, and then went to get Firedancer(mare pictured in these photos) to do the same with her, and when I got back into the barn, I immediately smelled pee. Anxious to see if my invention worked, I went right into the stall, lifted her tail, and VOILA...my cup runneth over! :aktion033: She gave me lots to work with! LOL!

results.jpg

I let her back out into the pasture, and put Firedancer in the stall with her cup in place. She did not pee fast like Deelite. So I went and brought a horse in to trim hooves on. Nothing...got another. Well, I ended up trimming up hooves on 4 horses. Finally, after the last mare was taken back out, I came into the barn, and I smelled she had pooped. I looked in the cup, and it ended smack dab in the cup! I was going to go back to the house to get a new cup to start over with, but thought sure as anything, once I leave to go to the house to get a new cup, she'll have peed, so I opted to dump the poop, wipe it out with a kleenex I had in my jacket pocket, and reapply the cup to her. Well I'll be darned if I didn't just get done cleaning the turds out of the cup, when I heard "water". I looked over at her, and sure enough her tail was in the air. I ran in, scaring the heck out of her in doing so, and was only able to get ONE drop while she was "winking" the drops off! OY!!!! I SWEAR she was laughing at me! :lol: So now I have to wait and start all over again! I turned her back out, as I read they normally only pee once every 6 hours, so I'll "rig her up" again when I bring her in for her grain and meds at suppertime.

Oh, and by the way...the results on the "cooperative" mare...

resultsdeelite.jpg

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Anxious to see if my invention worked, I went right into the stall, lifted her tail, and VOILA...my cup runneth over! :aktion033: She gave me lots to work with! LOL!

results.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Omigosh Mona, thanks for the laugh, but I just breathed coffee right into my lungs in the process.

Great invention though and CONGRATULATIONS on the positive result!!! Hope you get co operation from Firedancer now!

Where does one get these pregnancy tests?

Are these tests the same ones a person uses
default_wub.png
: Please excuse me if it isn't. Thanks, cjmm

Mona, Sandii Turner at Quarter Moon Farm was telling me about those tests..I thought she mentioned it came with instructions on how to collect the urine...

Cannot remember exactly..but might be worth it to send her an email to ask...
default_wink.png
:

[email protected]

I also think she is a dealer.....
default_yes.gif
:

Looks like you did pretty good tho.... :aktion033:

VERY inventive Mona! :aktion033: :aktion033: Big Congrats on the upcoming foal too!

We are also distributors for the urine and the serum test and I used a contraption similar to yours but attached it to a blanket much like the sample Freeland mentioned..so no sticky tape and hair removal fits LOL Just punch a hole in each side of a paper cup, tie strings to the holes and clip to blanket edges or diaper pin. A clean stall will work with no bedding, you really don't need much for the sample, it can even be a tad dirty..we scooped enough right off the stall mat in an indented area..as well as scooping some out of a pee spot in one stall..they were all ultrasounded after the test kits were used ..all confirmed by both methods to be pregnant or not. Very cool since my vet can't US the smaller mares and some I have are nitwits about it and stress out.
default_wacko.png
:

Well, my second attempt went well! It went like clockwork! I put Firedancer back in for feeding, attached the cup, and by the time I was done the rest of my chores and went in to let them back out, she had filled her cup for me! And, she is pregnant too!

I looked at that think on the website...the one Songcatcher and Sandii referred to, but I needed to be able to use items I already at at home here, as I live 33 miles out of town, and didn't want to make the trip. I also wanted something that I could collect with, that did not need to be attached to a blanket. The tape did not pull any hair out. They have a thick winter coat and the tape was not very sticky at all and was VERY easily removed. It was some sort of cloth tape that I had on hand from my vet. I think I'll just continue to use this method again as needed, as it worked out not too bad.
default_yes.gif
:

Now I have been told human pregnancy test can work on animals.

Only $10.00 / Now Mona what would yours cost?

Anyone else know wether it would work or not
default_wacko.png
:

Latest posts

Back