Cold weather...different horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMiniGal

Reaction score
Oh, my...it has gone so cold here. Down into the 20's at night, so we wake up to ice and frost. Been getting in the upper 30's during the day time. This seems early, for this type of weather here...get this in Jan. or Feb. for a few days. But what I noticed is my calm, mellow little Halo is a wound up, frisky, all over the place gal now.
default_new_multi.gif
I am not use to that, at all! It is like I have a new horse. Wish this place I have her at, had a round pen. I would take her in there and take off the lead and get her to run. But this place, only has a hot walker, for big horses. This is going to take me a bit to get use to. LOL

The same thing's happened to Breaker! He runs around so much more now that it's cold (a little colder here than where you are, it's been -20ºC or -4ºF a few mornings) He used to stand in his stall or in the shade all day in the summer, and now he's doing laps in the snow! I also wish I had a round pen, but he enjoys running his laps
default_smile.png

I can still remember the rides on my first horse (50 years ago) during the first cold snap or snowstorm each year. Yes, they turn into very different horses but soon get used to the cold or they would wear themselves out by spring. By the way, sometimes spring can have a similar effect, so be on your toes then too!

Ok, thank you, Mary. So, this may not be an all winter thing? She may get use to the cold and go back to her mellow self, until Spring? That would be good.LOL

Diva is the same way right now. And every time it snows she is running and bucking in her padock .

I will be glad when the ice is covered by good traction snow, so I can get some energy out of her.

And yes spring is another time for fun energy. Change of weather means frisky horses.

My 16 and 20 year olds played tag yesterday all around the pasture. The ground was covered by a sheet of ice, but I guess their sharp hooves broke through to the grass underneath to give them traction. Love seeing them full of high spirits!

I don't mind seeing her run around. What mainly has me wanting her back to being her mellow self, is a few days ago, my husband and I were working her, and wow, we've never had her have so much energy. She tried so hard to comply though, and did do what was asked, she just had all this energy, and was way more active than what we were use to. It is good though, as then we get use to her that way too, or if I ever get another one, they may not be as mellow as Halo can be. So I am learning a lot!
default_yes.gif

Yep, this time of year you'll often see my girls chasing each other round and round. It's a lot of fun to watch. I love watching the one "cheating" by turning in smaller circles. Or the one sliding into the barn area which always makes me hold my breath because I always believe she'll never get stopped in time. Yet, she always does.

I love this time of year
default_smile.png

I would love to see my girl play...haven't seen that yet. It just isn't her, not even when she was in with other horses. May be someday, I will get to.

I have to say, she may not play much, but she sure brings laughter to our lives. Once a week, my husband and I empty her water trough completely. We are using an ice chest as one. So we clean it out and dry it and decide to put it under her shelter instead of out in the rain and mud. So my husband heads to the barn, to get some warm water from the sink in there, and I turn around and there is Halo, both front feet in the empty ice chest checking it all out. LOL I started laughing. She then gets out of it, and I get a towel and get the dirt out, that she just put in there...there literally was a huge piece of mud, shaped like her foot, in there. hahaha Anyway, I can't imagine life without her.

Horses generate heat by moving and by digesting fiber...so when it is cold hay disappears faster and horses are frisky!

Oh yes most horses love the cold weather especially a cold and windy day!!! My Great Uncle, a true "Rodeo Cowboy" used to say that the horses were "feeling their oats" when they were out in the fields running, bucking and shaking their heads on a cold day!!!!!! Misty and Josie have been running and playing way more now that the weather has turned cold, so fun to watch them! Especially cute watching Josie with her short little legs running with Misty and she gets bucking and rearing up, she sure does keep up for a little dwarf!

Latest posts

Back