Coat Issues

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantasia

Reaction score
We are having an extremely windy Spring here and I wonder if that is at the base of my issues but interested in your thoughts:

One - 4 yr BAY mare, cannot get a nice coat coming through. This is a multi champion colour horse! Coat comes through sparse and dry, just not tightening up. She's getting oil in her feed, four tablespoons crushed linseed, a prep feed with sunflower seeds - same feed as last year, still no "bloom". She gets a coat moisturiser every second time she's worked and also every time I clip her. I've got her in a warm rug during day and another rug on top at night. Stables are airy so given we having strong winds trying to keep warm and out of draughts.

Two - Yearling CHESTNUT filly who was very down on her minerals when I got her. Clipped out when coat was coming out in handfuls, coat didn't want to grow out again! Tried "warming her up" with rugs - came through awful, "cooling her down" got those long horrible cat hairs. I've re-clipped her close with a 30 blade to try and even up the coat length, now it's growing and coming through shinny, but you can still see clipper marks!!!!

Any ideas?

One - 4 yr BAY mare, cannot get a nice coat coming through. This is a multi champion colour horse! Coat comes through sparse and dry, just not tightening up. She's getting oil in her feed, four tablespoons crushed linseed, a prep feed with sunflower seeds - same feed as last year, still no "bloom". She gets a coat moisturiser every second time she's worked and also every time I clip her. I've got her in a warm rug during day and another rug on top at night. Stables are airy so given we having strong winds trying to keep warm and out of draughts.
Can you post pictures? I am firm believer in keeping feed simple and horses blooming from the inside out. Good hay plus a good pelleted feed is usually enough. I will say the mini/pony feed from purina puts a great shiny coat on horses. Im not a fan of sunflower seeds etc because I have never seen it work. Also be sure you are deworming as worms lice etc will damage coats.

The only supplement I ever use is Equine Body Builder. Just use it a couple weeks and they really bloom.

Two - Yearling CHESTNUT filly who was very down on her minerals when I got her. Clipped out when coat was coming out in handfuls, coat didn't want to grow out again! Tried "warming her up" with rugs - came through awful, "cooling her down" got those long horrible cat hairs. I've re-clipped her close with a 30 blade to try and even up the coat length, now it's growing and coming through shinny, but you can still see clipper marks!!!!
If you clipped with a 30 that is probably why you are still seeing marks. I know some don't agree but I always say do every clip like a show clip or those marks will haunt you for some time. If it was me I would just let it grow for some time and then clip with a 10.

Im not a big believer in rugs either as I have found that if they wear them too much it damages the coat from them sweating then drying out etc etc. But I know its a lot different where you are.

I have been clipping big show horse professionaly for 20 years now and I have found that is very important to clip on the first 3 days of an old moon, i always use freshly sharpened blades and I dip them in diesel to keep them grease free whilst clipping. This will make a big difference to the new coat that grows through. Also as Kay said keep the feeding simple and plenty of good quality hay to keep them warm. If the rugs fit they shouldn't do any damage but make sure they aren't too hot.

Photos would be great

Eagle - when you say old moon - do you mean within the first three days of a waning or declining moon? Never heard of that, but do garden by moon so will def try it!

Kay - we can't get the purina feed or Equine Body Builder here...... She's on good tucker, like I said same as last year and she took plenty of colour classes and champs.

Will try and post pics - will take some of the younger girl this week as she now different from pics taken last week at show...

I had one horse that did get a really dull coat just as you described. He was on the farnam mini feed and was anemic. So we gave him some red cell, but honestly changing feeds was the only solution. And I had another mini that was going down the same path with the purina mini feed so I no longer will feed anything thats meant for minis. I think you need to start looking at your feeding program and possibly change it. Never heard of good tucker and see you are from New Zealand so won't recommend a product but thats what I would do. Like yours my guy was perfectly fine the 1st year the farnam feed came out and then the 2nd year something totally changed and I stopped giving it. Changed his feed and dramatic difference.

Your other one sounds alot like nutrition problems as well. It may take a while from her coat to get back to normal. May take a whole year just to get it right. Like Kay said just let it grow out, give her a good feeding program she'll come out of it. Try and avoid blanketing her if you can, the coat needs to breathe so if you have a breathable sheet thats better.

Good tucker is simply 'good feed'

I've had no problems with keeping shiny coats on the horses with them on hay and oat only; prior to and during show season we do add sunflower seeds as well. One winter I had a little mare with a very poor, dry coat & dry skin--I added sunflower seeds to her ration and in a few weeks did see a big improvement in skin condition & in her hair. But, you are already giving sunflower seeds so there is more to it than that.

I would suggest trying a different mineral supplement....depending what you use for minerals now--a poor coat can indicate a mineral imbalance/deficiency. I love the supplement Sho Glo, it is formulated to put a fantastic show coat on a horse. Probably you cannot get the Manna Pro products there--I would have to find an ingredient list for the Sho Glo to see what is in it, I haven't used it in a number of years now.

Eagle - when you say old moon - do you mean within the first three days of a waning or declining moon? Never heard of that, but do garden by moon so will def try it.
Yes sorry, I get lost in translations some times.

Clip on a full moon until waning.

I say do all the others have said about the feed, but want to add, leave the blankets off unless the temps go below freezing. That will help to bring the natural coat back in. I especially agree with clipping again with a ten, not a thirty, but wait until the coat starts to come in real good, not the pig type coat with the bristles. Also use lots of elbow grease, and not wash too often, you want to bring the natual oils to the surface. If you must wash just rinse with warm water until you get the coat where you want it. Sometimes us owners wash away all the natural oils in the coat with too much bathing.

Wish it was spring here! It is fall and some days are so cold! I have a stallion that really needs his long mane washed, got to wait till I get a warm day, or take him into the indoor.

I have not read the other replies, so sorry if this response is repeated. Try taking them off the oil and fatty concentrates. They are warming them internally and so they don't have as much need of a coat. Are they blanketed? Start to get rid of the blankets. Also, are you in the barn late at night? Coats and cycles are often determined by process of photosynthesis. You can prevent a hardy coat and bring on late/early cycles by late-night lights.

Bloods back - older mare fine, young girl much better than in April and just in acceptable ranges but still slightly short in selenium. So that answers young girl! Will keep working on her.

Have shifted the older mare to a warmer stable, dropped the rugs back so cross fingers it was draughty stables.......

We supposed to star Summer next week - wish it would arrive!!!!!

But I'm going to try :clipping by the moon:
default_biggrin.png

aktion033.gif
Well that is good news, can we have some pics please
wub.gif
you know we all love to see photos
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back