Clipping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Glen

Reaction score
O.k I was just wondering when it is a good time to clip b4 a show dose it change for differnt coulours, I have been told to clip my silver dapple the day b4 and others have said a week and others have said 3 days so now I'm confused :ugh: I want him to show his colouring at its best I also have a pintaloosa that I am showing this year and was wondering when it is best to clip him, I would tidy up there face the day b4 or that morning of the show to do whiskers and so on but was wondering bout when to do the body, PLEASE HELP
default_please.gif
:

A lot depends on the individual horse in my experience. How fast does their coat grow in? I find darker horses need some time to get "black" again and white horses need a chance to be white again.
default_yes.gif
: What time of year it is. Also what number of blade you are using to clip. I wouldn't clip the day before as then it won't have a chance to even out any track marks you have made and there are always some. Also bathing and clipping can take the oil out of the coat and rough the end of the hairs left on him. He needs a chance to grow it a bit to get some shine back on it. Sorry but it is really hard to pin down "the" day to clip :bgrin

A lot depends on the individual horse in my experience. How fast does their coat grow in? I find darker horses need some time to get "black" again and white horses need a chance to be white again.
default_yes.gif
: What time of year it is. Also what number of blade you are using to clip. I wouldn't clip the day before as then it won't have a chance to even out any track marks you have made and there are always some. Also bathing and clipping can take the oil out of the coat and rough the end of the hairs left on him. He needs a chance to grow it a bit to get some shine back on it. Sorry but it is really hard to pin down "the" day to clip :bgrin
We are in spring and my first show is start of october, What is the best length of clip to use on the body ( just wondering )

Thanks

For your first clip of the year I would give him a really good bath and then use a number 10 blade all over. Closer to the day of your show, say a week and a half to 2 weeks ahead of time I would give him another bath and maybe use a number 30 all over to make sure that you have good fresh hair coming in all over. The day before the show I would use a 40 or 50 on the muzzle and over the eyes and a 30 to clean up and blend in the face. For later shows I would clip 3 to 5 days ahead of time with a 10 blade on his body and do the face with the 40, 50 and 30. If he has a lot of white on his face I might not clip so close. Don't forget to protect him from sun and cold after you clip.

all of my horses get clipped one to two days before the show. There colors are, black, black appy, and pintos.

By black gelding gets clipped the night before a show, he is always black black for a show. THe keys to black is the more you clip the faster the color comes back.

Okay I have been thinking...

I think it MIGHT be an "old wives tale" that "the more often you clip, the darker your horse will be."

I think the thing is, the later in the year you clip, the darker they will turn out. When you clip early in the year, you are clipping a winter coat, which has a longer hair shaft, and most of the "color" is at the end of the shaft, so you are leaving the "greyer" part of the hair shaft.

The later in the year you clip (if you've been clipping a lot, it will be later in the year) you are clipping a summer coat which has a much shorter hair shaft, and thus you will just see more "color".

Which is why some people don't even have to clip if the horse has a nice, tight short summer coat. And this will give you the most color of all.

Andrea

Okay I have been thinking...
I think it MIGHT be an "old wives tale" that "the more often you clip, the darker your horse will be."

I think the thing is, the later in the year you clip, the darker they will turn out. When you clip early in the year, you are clipping a winter coat, which has a longer hair shaft, and most of the "color" is at the end of the shaft, so you are leaving the "greyer" part of the hair shaft.

The later in the year you clip (if you've been clipping a lot, it will be later in the year) you are clipping a summer coat which has a much shorter hair shaft, and thus you will just see more "color".

Which is why some people don't even have to clip if the horse has a nice, tight short summer coat. And this will give you the most color of all.

Andrea
I used to always clip my black at the very least 3 times before his first show. The first show was normally May. How do you explain it then?

Latest posts

Back