CLIPPING?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMAMINIS

Reaction score
I SEE ALOT OF MINIS WITH THERE HEAD AND NECK CLIPPED AND THE REST OF THERE WINTER WOLLIES LEFT ON AND THERE IS A LITTLE SNOW ON THE GROUND? I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO KEEP THEM CLIPPED NICE AND CLEAN LIKE THAT BUT WAS TOLD THEY LOOSE TO MUCH HEAT WHEN YOU DO THAT? I KNOW IT IS NOT SOMETHING YOU WOULD PROBABLY DUE IN THE REAL COLD PART OF WINTER BUT LATE FALL AND EARLY SPRING IS IT OKAY? THANKS FOR ANY INFO!!! :bgrin

ahhhhh im glad you asked this question as i have a white horse and he just loves to roll in muck, so i wouldnt wash him in this weather, ive got lovley fleecy hoods to put on them if i did clip them out, but i too am worried about them being cold,even though they have reallly cozy stables ...so ill watch this space
default_yes.gif
:

OH BEFORE I FORGET i also heard that when you clip them from head and shoulders, you get an invisible line at the clip mark that is hard to match in in the summer......hmmm
default_unsure.png
:

i NEVER do it. honestly i think its silly to do unless you are trying to sell the horse. I bought a horse that had this done (i did not request it!) and come show season it took 3 body clips to get the line out. It drove me crazy. Now some do it that leave neck sweats on all winter but again i dont do that so no clipping during the winter. the only thing we clip are bridal paths and some chin hair on tamale because im line driving him.

I've head and necked a horse when I couldn't wait til warmer weather to see what was under all the fuzz. I've purchased all of my minis in late fall to early spring, so they have all come to me in winter woolies; and I just couldn't wait to see what was under all the fuzz, but it's too cold to body clip here before mid-May or later.

This past spring, my stallion was so wooly and we got an early hot spell, so I head and necked him as he was getting too hot with all his hair still in place. It was too early for a full-body clip, as I knew more winter was yet to come; but he was so miserable, so I head and necked him and he was more comfortable and he still had more than enough hair to keep him warm when cold came back, which it did. I don't show, so the two-tone color from clipping isn't much of an issue.

I had to clip Millie out this winter because we thought there was a chance she might have gotten lice from a lamb at the farm I had her at before. So now I'm wondering about this whole invisible line thing yoy guys are talking about. I show Halter too. So I'm going to have some fun..LOL

Perfect timing I was wondering the same thing.

I need A LOT of PRACTICE on contouring and thought if it was ok health wise I would PRACTICE on the whole herd. (I wonder what my appendix Q.H. mare will look like ODD i'll bet)

I'm in Michigan.

We have clipped our horses heads & necks back to the shoulder in the late spring. They look nice when you have potential buyers coming to look at your herd and if it warms up too much weather-wise, it does make our horses more comfortable.

If the weather is still "iffy", where it could turn cooler again, we clip with the hair, not against it. This leaves longer hair on the neck and head in case they need the warmth for a few days. This is done on a clean, bathed horse.

If you hold the clippers tight enough to the hair while clipping with the way it lays, it will not leave really noticeable clip lines. This is primarily done on our broodmares that will not be shown. We try to keep the girls looking good and comfortable during the last stages of pregnancy.

Our mares get bathed and clipped up before they foal, providing the weather is fit for a bath. We have one mare due March 31, so I doubt we will be able to bathe her before the foal arrives.

I am hoping that will change soon as hubby is working on building a heated bathing/clipping area in our barn. :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back