Clipping And Crazy Weather

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixieGirl89

Reaction score
Ok so as many of you know I was supposed to do my first clip a month ago. But literally right after I got my clippers in the mail, it rained, and rained and rained. It's honestly been raining for a month and stops raining while I'm at work. The weather has been pretty decent only getting down in the low 40's at night. I don't have a full body blanket covering the neck, just a regular somewhat thick blanket. I don't want them to be wet and cold even with a blanket. Should I keep waiting to clip them? They don't have a barn they can go to, just a lean to. They're outside 24/7, I should probably keep waiting.

I'm kind of in the same situation as you, except instead of the rain it kept snowing, and it was in the 30's, but now its getting warmer (finally!). I think a low trace clip would be good to start out with, or I just clipped Éowyns lower neck and chest and shes still warm even though it was 29 degrees this morning (I can tell by feeling behind her ears). So anyway, I think it would be fine to do the full clip since you have a blanket idk I'll see what the others answer XD

Its so hard this time of year not to clip because the horses are getting itchy and everyone's wanting to see what's under that fur. I've got a barn and plenty of blankets and I'm still not body clipping yet. The weather here is still very unstable. You would have to go to great lengths to be sure your horse did not overturn his blanket or get it off, tear it up on something being pastured with it, be positive it didn't leak should it rain or soak through.....nope I wouldn't be body shaving now if I were you. Maybe a couple of swipes under the belly or chest but not the full monty.

See exactly the issue I'm having, they're all itchy and what not. I've tried the baby oil/Listerine and it helped but I can't control the itching (or the weather). Maybe I'll just do the chest and lower neck clips then. It only gets in the low 40's now but no lower than that with the days being in the high 50's-60's.

Unless you've got a nice warm barn and lots of clean, well-fitting blankets... No clipping.

Waiting can be *so* hard. I agree with everyone though that without proper blankets or shelter to keep them warm it's just best to wait.

What you can do it use a shedding blade on them everyday to help them not be so itchy for now =)

Heck, I'm in Texas and it's COLD here! I haven't clipped, either. And we have barns and shed.

But then, I'm not showing rated shows this year, so for me, it's cool.

We did some trace clips on our yearlings with really heavy coats because they were getting too hot on the warm days. It is sort of like a racing stripe down their sides, but starting at the chest and going a bit higher at the flank to help with cooling. Looks odd but keeps them comfy.

I think I'm just going to wait it out still, it's like torture...I want shaved ponies!!! But I don't want cold ponies either.. The weather is "supposedly* breaking soon with a few 70° days.

You guys wanting to clip should move to AZ! The lowest it's been since mid march or so has been 70. The average temp has been around 80-85. I'm not clipping anyone because my clippers aren't strong enough but I swear it snows the rainbow when we groom everyone.

My horse was at the trainers and we clipped him not thinking that I would be bringing him home (the beach) it's a lot colder here. I think he lost weight because of the cold. One night I had to triple blanketed him he was so cold. During the day I had his winter water proof blanket on. I need to order a new winter blanket. The one I got has a bellyband and when it rains it's like a pocket and fills with water. The band was soaked and my lil guy was freezing. New winter blanket no belly band.

Latest posts

Back