Clipped Nehi - Where did the color go!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimarron

Reaction score
th_Cnv0372.jpg
Remember my Redrock Incognito colt that was born in March! This is Cimarron's Im Incognito Too! When he was born he was chestnut. Well here he is clipped! He still has some color as I can see his wild blaze on his face but we were surprised he is so light. I sent his registration papers in with chestnut because he is looked just like his dad when he was born. Havent go this papers back yet sho we will see what color they register him as. Still cant tell if he has white on his legs. His hooves are light but that doesnt always mean white legs does it?

We are going to start weaning him because we are taking him to the Championship show in KC in a few weeks. We have a wedding to pay for next year so he cant stay! Altho if I hadnt bought my Cowboy colt from Charlotte last year I probably would have considered it!! He is also barely halter broke so I have to work on that! It could be a fiasco! LOL!

Sheila

th_Cnv0368.jpg

The color went to the floor
default_smile.png
But it will grow back, and this time of year, usually very fast. I have a golden palomino that I can clip just 5 or so days before a show. It comes back pretty quickly, especially this time of year. However, it is never wise to base a color determination on the way a horse looks freshly clipped. That's not their true color.

Does he carry the sabino gene? The same thing happened to my colt this year. He is a sabino pinto colt, was bright red when born, but now he seems to have lost most of his color. I expected him to lose the color when clipped but I was pleasantly surprised to see he still held quite a bit, but with him, once the hair started growing back, THAT is when it came in so much lighter in color. He is still much lighter than his original color, so I am thinking it is due to the sabino gene at work.

Here he is at birth:

wfbirth.jpg

Here he is at 1 month of age:

wf1month.jpg

Here he is freshly clipped at 2 months of age:

wffreshclip2months.jpg

An finally, here he is 3 weeks later. The hair coming in seems much lighter:

wf3weekslater.jpg

Mona, Yes he is a sabino overo just like his dad and he looked exactly like your colt when born. Bright red!! Then as he has gotten older he has gotten lighter and when we clipped it he was really light!!! Several people have tried to call him a palomino but I don't think so. We are hoping he will darken up some more but who knows! So what color did you registrer you colt who by the way is beautiful? Sheila

Mona, Yes he is a sabino overo just like his dad and he looked exactly like your colt when born. Bright red!! Then as he has gotten older he has gotten lighter and when we clipped it he was really light!!! Several people have tried to call him a palomino but I don't think so. We are hoping he will darken up some more but who knows! So what color did you registrer you colt who by the way is beautiful? Sheila
I just registered my colt as sorrel pinto. I suppose you could always add "roan" to the combination since it is sabino roaning.

Well to be honest I don't really know much about your colour situation but i just had to say he is a darling little thing you have ands congrats :aktion033:

I don't know if all sabinos are like this, but my mare is darker during the winter, and lighter during the summer.

Winter:

Dinah2Oct172004.jpg

Summer:

DinahHeadandNeckJuly06LittleHousePh.jpg

I have this mare's sabino filly that I did a partial clip on awhile back, and talk about losing the color! Wow. I'm getting ready to do a full clip tomorrow, maybe I should take before and after pics, LOL.

His hooves are light but that doesnt always mean white legs does it?

Yes!

Latest posts

Back