Choosing a halter for jumping and performance classes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingminihorses

Reaction score
I got a quick question, I would love to eventually show my mare in the performance classes such as jumping or halter obstical...what type of halter is acceptable for these classes? I see the 'stock horse' type halters and 'arabian' thin cable like halters but I'm confused as to what is best. I personally would think that a more 'heavy duty' halter like the stock horse halters would be better in the long run...? What do you use? I would be showing in AMHR shows(if that makes a difference). I guess I need to find thier rule book online and do some reading.
default_wacko.png

Lindsey

I know there is a halter that is supose to be great for halter classes but also jumper and in hand performance ext. I believe its made by D & S Lutke or something like that? I think its called the convertable halter or something. I personally dont care much for them ..but thats just me.

For my jumpers, i use a brand new super clean cloth halter with matching lead or a western show halter with the silver ext. I also have a dark leather plain halter, depends on the horse.

Honestly, using the arabian type show halters in jumper classes just scares me. If the horse refuses and pulls back, that chain WILL snap eventually. I know of a trainer here in ohio that jumps all her horses in arabain style horses and i just will not do it
default_unsure.png

I like the western halters from ozark as they are thinner and more refined and delicate but still strong. Just my preference ....

That's the ones I like, but then I don't do halter.

Supreme Equine has some really nice ones in betathane.

For obstacle, I would think they'd be a lot better as far as control goes.

I usually use a fairly narrow, plain black leather stable halter, with a chain under the chin, attached at the off-side cheek ring (just like you would for showmanship) with a regular black leather show lead BUCKLED ON to that. We have pintos with lots of chrome so don't feel the need for silver on the halters. In a pinch - like when we have 3 minis in the same halter obstacle class - we have used a relatively new plain black nylon halter instead of the leather one. Some horses - especially young ones that are teething - do better without the chin chain, though, and always practice with it before you use it in a class.

I prefer having two different halters for show, one for halter and one for performance. Unless your horse is an absolute angel in the ring I would never recommend a cable/arab-type halter for performance. A simple, thin, clean leather halter usually works great.

I would try a halter that will allow the horse to move nicely without to much head gear on. A nice cable halter might work but I am not to sure. By the way I am glad we talked on yahoo we can doo it more in a few hours if you want.

I do halter obstacle, and I use a halter similar to this:

silver_bar_halter.jpg

I prefer something I know has some durability. You might want to try eBay for one, you might be able to find one reasonably priced. Good Luck.

I don't like using a cable "arab" halter for jumping, you need more control than that chain gives you. Also, if you happen to catch you horse wrong with the cable halter it gives the same kind of "snap" that you would give in a halter class to make your horse stand still and "pop" his head up.

I use the quater horse styled halter like addicted to minis has shown

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a two different styles of performance halters that I really like. One is a more expensive ($200) beta-biothane western show halter. It is black with silver and gold bars and is not bulky like a lot of mini western show halters. Then I have a couple from Ozark Mountain (link) that cost half as much and I honestly like better. They are made of leather and have silver bars but the straps of the leather are even thinner than my more expensive one and I like that look better.

Really, now, I only show in halter classes but when I was doing performance or showmanship, I would not ever use a western halter in a halter class, and I wouldn't use one of my "arab style" show halters for performance.

Other options that I think looks absolutely fine for halter obstacle and jumping is a nice nylon halter, with or without "pretty" overlays. A beta biothane halter, like Kay Jay Tack (link) sells. I have several of these in purple and love them, and they only cost $20 including the lead. Being beta-biothane, they will last "forever" and always look nice. Or just a simple, nice leather halter.

If you plan to do showmanship along with other performance classes, I would highly recommend the western style show halter. I have a couple geldings who will do 360's all day (like could turn a hole to China) with JUST my hand under their chin and no halter, but the western show halter, imo, completes the look for showmanship -- and it's all about presentation in that class.

Good luck and have fun!!!
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Thanks for the responses everyone! I think I am going to go with a western type show halter, I personally like them better than the arab halters anyway.
default_yes.gif
great info ya'll! thanks

know there is a halter that is supose to be great for halter classes but also jumper and in hand performance ext. I believe its made by D & S Lutke or something like that? I think its called the convertable halter or something. I personally dont care much for them ..but thats just me.
Its the Lutke convertable. I've got one. I think it's great for performance classes but I really don't want to use it in halter. It's not as refined as it looks in pictures. It would look great on some horses but it makes mine look really bulky block headed. i haven't used it yet but it will have to do for this year. :DOH!

Latest posts

Back