Choke a scarey day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandra dittus

Reaction score
I have been raising Minis for 10 years now and have learned a lot but something new always seems to come up.

My babies go out from 8 until 11 every morning while I am cleaning stall and the pastures. I knew it was going to rain but wanted to give them all the time I could because they were having so much fun playing with each other and chasing their ball around.

I had just rebedded their stalls and fixed fresh water when the sky opend up and it started lightning. Magic and her baby ran right in their stall, but Belle took J.R. all the way in the corner of the pasture. I ran like crazy chasing them up to the stall, I heard J.R. cough but didn't think much of it. I got him in the stall and started drying him off and seen that he was choking. I tried rubbing his neck, figured it might be poop but it didn't get better. Ran up told my Husband to call the Vet. The Vet had a hard time finding a tube to fit this little 2 wk. old Mini. Finely got it clear but he is not out of the woods. The Vet said to watch closely for the next 48 hr. for a possible reocurrence if choke, if that happens again it is not a good sign. Also have to watch for pneumonia. He is on Naxcel right now.

Please keep little J.R. in your prayers he was such a good brave little guy at the Vets. I have worn a path from the house to the stall, he seems to be doing fine. No bad breathing nothing coming out his nose, so I think that is a good sign.

Sandy

Sorry 1 picture is so big, I tried to reduce it.

JR.jpg

100_0194.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Poor little guy.... do you know what he choked on? [/SIZE]

Lyn

I think it was poop. I have seen both of the babies eating it. Never had a problem with it before. I may have scared him running down there like a crazy lady, tryingto get him out of the rain. I clean my foaling pasture every day, pick up anthing I see that they may pick up. Hope it was poop, th Vet said that rubbing the neck could hurt the esophagus if you rub and there is something hard in there.

Sandy

I had a month old colt choke and I rubbed like crazy.By the time the emergency vet got here on Friday night he was fine.Never had a problem again, but he ate anything he could put in his mouth.He is now 3 and very healthy.

Latest posts

Back