Children's photos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle

Reaction score
I am asking for your opinions so please be honest and tell me what you think.

My 5 year old went swimming with the school yesterday and one of the mothers was taking pics of all the kids. It was not organised by the school and we weren't asked if we were o.k with it. I personally wasn't and mentioned it to the school head who looked at me like I was some kind of nutter!

The school and mother in question made a real big thing about me not wanting my son photographed in his swim suit by her and now I feel bad. This morning I got the real cold shoulder when I dropped him off
default_sad.png

Am I paranoid and over protective or was my reaction normal?

Thanks

Renee

My kids' school sends out a permission slip that covers these things. A simple yes or no and a signature. I would guess, that while some of us are on our second and third + kid, we no longer feel the need to photograph every milestone or event our kids go to, there are parents that are snap happy. In this day and age I can understand your concern and that preditors will edit shots like these or forwarded to family members of the child that are not to have any contact with the kids, I am sure it was harmless and perhaps getting to know the mother better would put your mind at ease that it was no more than being a snap happy parent. I think if you brought it up to the head of the school your point of view should have been respected and handled in a more appropriate/professional manor.

I am from a very close knit community, I know my sons classmates and the majority of the parents on a first name basis, so, I would not have thought twice about the pics. I would be much more concerned at the beach or a public swimming pool surrounded by strangers.

I work for a preschool/daycare, and honestly, have never had anyone complain about another parent taking pictures of their child, when doing a function like that, but usually, our parents, most of them all get to know eachother. With that said...us as staff are forbidden to put up pictures or even use the first name of a child on a social network, like Facebook. For our website, we sent out a permission slip, to use pictures of children, throughout the center, on our website, with no names put with them of course. I think out of 100 kids, only one wasn't allowed to be on it. But, I agree, as in one can't be too careful now days. No matter if they think you are being over protective or not, they should respect your wishes and not think anything of it, but that you are being careful with "YOUR" child. She may think about it, and be ok in a few days.
default_smile.png

I think the one with the problem is the other mother who made a big deal. Nowadays with everyone posting everything on social networks, I would not want pics of my children taken either. We live in a different world and you cannot be too careful. I would just ignore the mother. If she gets over it, fine, if she does not, oh well. I also agree that the school should have handled it better also.

As long as they weren't going to be published anywhere in public, I wouldn't have cared and probably said thank you for the picture

Thanks for all your replies, it is so nice to be able to come here and get honest opinions in a polite manner. I wasn't offered the photos Marty it was for her own personal album and also it said on the entrance door of the swimming pool that is is forbidden to take photos as it is a public place.

This isn't my first child and I am like you Carolyn in that I don't snap there every move (I probably have more pics of the horses) lol The mum in question works full time and it was her first time to the pool so I guess she feels the need to take more pics and rightly so I suppose.

Thanks everyone
default_smile.png

Renee

Back