Chicken in horses Water

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaniceZ

Reaction score
So, While I was helping my mom do chores at the farm she boards at this evening one I found a chicken in the horses water trough. I pulled out the chicken and brought it to the lady that owns the farm, she has it in her house until it dries since it is cold out. I didn't really think much of it right then, but now I am wondering if it is still safe for the horses to be drinking that water? I think I remember reading something about chickens and not being good for horses.......I cant really remember.

Should I have dumped that water or is it still okay?

Thanks!

I would dump it out to be on the safe side....and especially if the chicken pooped in it, which is very likely.

Back when I had chickens, every now and then they would get stuck in the water troughs. Normally I'd see them do it, get them out, and that would be it. But in the case where I'd find them and didnt know how long they had been in there... I normally would empty and refill the water, only because I didnt know if possibly they may have pooped in it. If your horses are around chickens then they probably pick up chicken poop all the time from messing with things on the ground anyway but it was just the idea that I might be making them drink poop water. I think I'd change it whenever possible but probably not any kind of emergency to do so. JMHO
default_unsure.png

A couple of years ago I had a chicken fall through the ice in the water tub. I put her in a cage in the house and did change the water. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Hmmmm.... Well maybe I just got lucky and my chickens did not have Salmonella... IDK. But I am glad I longer have them cause there is not much more gross than watching a foal grab a fresh chicken poo and gobble it up before you can get to them.
default_smileypuke.gif

Yuck! We have a mare that eats the other horses poop. She seems to do it when she is bored?That, and chewing tails.
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys. I will let the person doing chores this AM know. It was in a trough outside, so they probably arn't out yet, and probably haven't drank any yet.

Latest posts

Back