Check out the color on this horse!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love her "star-spangled" head especially.
default_wub.png

WOW! is right! Truly 'one-in-a-million' markings, for sure. Thanks for sharing the link!

Wonder if she was tested for overo, also? I don't know diddly about appy genetics, but have long suspected that there is *sometimes* some sort of a 'tie-in' between overo and/or sabino and/or splash and (at least some) appy patterning. I remember Maddon's Bright Eyes, a QH, though she had some 'paint' markings that everyone apparently pretended she DIDN'T...and her sibling or half-sibling,Bright Eyes' Brother, a definite Appy--as only one example.

Margo

Cool markings. Guess I've never really been in the loop with the Appy hroses, but I had no idea they had such pretty heads.

The skeptical side of me does not believe there is no way this horse has some sort of pinto genetics going on.

Andrea

Don't know if it's still a rule or not but when I was showing ApHA they wouldn't register a horse that was an appaloosa/pinto (or paint) cross. That was a big no no a few years ago.

Don't know if it's still a rule or not but when I was showing ApHA they wouldn't register a horse that was an appaloosa/pinto (or paint) cross. That was a big no no a few years ago.
Nope, they still won't..and certainly shouldn't. THIS filly is 100% registered Appaloosa, both parents are registered Appaloosas...and she has been genetically tested to have no pinto/paint.

Nope, they still won't..and certainly shouldn't. THIS filly is 100% registered Appaloosa, both parents are registered Appaloosas...and she has been genetically tested to have no pinto/paint.

But I still wonder a couple of things...are Appaloosas DNA/parentage qualified?? And secondly, I understood it to read that she had been tested for tobiano. nothing was said about being tested for LWO, or Sabino1, and she may also carry other forms of pinto where testing is not yet available, such as other sabino types/patterns and splashed white. I highly suspect splash and/or sabino in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I still wonder a couple of things...are Appaloosas DNA/parentage qualified??
Only the "solids" or uncertain ones are, but it can be done if there is any question. The only way she could have any form of pinto/paint patern would be that bit expressed by a blaze or sock, as in any other "solid" breeds; and as I have never heard of a pinto cropping up in a registered Appaloosa before, and the breed is very strict on having no pinto/paint patterns. Wayyyy back in the "old days", I don't think they even accepted blue eyes...and back when I was raising them, blue eyes, though accepted, were very poorly appreciated, and much frowned upon. When registering a foal, you have to send pictures, and they have to show every bit of colour...feet, head, even under tails and udder areas to show colour. I cannot see that a "pinto/paint" coloured horse would have been "oopsed" into the registry in the past.

I do doubt she carries any more than any other solid horse. That would be like having to test every horse in every registry that has any facial and leg white, stating they are in fact, paints/pintos. Some are, yes, but generally they have a paint/pinto background.

I have seen registered Appaloosas before with some very odd patterns. This filly is more uncommon than most, but not totally unheard of.

Only the "solids" or uncertain ones are, but it can be done if there is any question. The only way she could have any form of pinto/paint patern would be that bit expressed by a blaze or sock, as in any other "solid" breeds; and as I have never heard of a pinto cropping up in a registered Appaloosa before, and the breed is very strict on having no pinto/paint patterns. Wayyyy back in the "old days", I don't think they even accepted blue eyes...and back when I was raising them, blue eyes, though accepted, were very poorly appreciated, and much frowned upon. When registering a foal, you have to send pictures, and they have to show every bit of colour...feet, head, even under tails and udder areas to show colour. I cannot see that a "pinto/paint" coloured horse would have been "oopsed" into the registry in the past.

I do doubt she carries any more than any other solid horse. That would be like having to test every horse in every registry that has any facial and leg white, stating they are in fact, paints/pintos. Some are, yes, but generally they have a paint/pinto background.

I have seen registered Appaloosas before with some very odd patterns. This filly is more uncommon than most, but not totally unheard of.
OK, well this is where I would find it easy to get pinto into the mix then, if they only question when something looks out of place. I think would be easier than you think to get an "oops" allowed in if going only by photos. A pintaloosa that is maximum white from pinto, could easly hide and pass as a leopard appy, because the spots would all be within the white areas, and on a maximum expressed pinto, that would be basically the entire body, so could look just like a normal leopard. Same could hold true for a a minimally expressed pinto patterned pintaloosa. That same horse could be mostly solid colored, with socks maybe, or even an odd blaze, or speck of blue in an eye, and yet thry could be carrying pinto that could reproduce something more wildly patterned, such as this filly.

When I look at this filly, I see leopard pintaloosa. The solid color would be like the color on a pinto, and white with spots looks to be the leopard appaloosa pattern in the white area of a pinto. That would explain why the spots on every part of the white areas including the face. I just cannot accept that there is not pinto in there from somewhere, even if it managed to stay hidden for a genration or two. I am not saying without a doubt there IS pinto in there, I am just saying with what I personally see when I look at that pattern, is that that'swhat "I" see.

Yes, I am playing devil's advocate here, but that is because I have the tendancy to question many things, and not believe everything I am told, or in some cases, everything I see.

Well, put it this way...were there any pinto/paint a generation or two back...the breeder would be in a bit of "ahem", let's just say..."KaKa". No Appaloosa breeder, ever, in their right MIND would WANT to breed that pattern into their program for one thing...and I am pretty sure if they were caught...(which is 100% likely) they wouldn't have to worry about being an Appaloosa breeder any longer, and would certainly lose any reputation they had. There is the Pinto registry, which is where the pintaloosa "breeder" would be registering their foals...not worth ruining your reputaion and breeding program by tainting the Appaloosa breed with pinto/paint horses.

Then too, there is more to the Appaloosa than pattern. There are several other characteristics to be looked for when registering an Appaloosa, so a maximum white would have to have at least two OTHER characteristics for the horse to be registered. If the characteristics are NOT there, then you need DNA testing.

I would say, you can pretty much bet your bippy, there is no other pattern being expressed here, than Appaloosa; it just wouldn't be worth a breeder's time, effort, or rep to sneak an animal in with another pattern...too easy to check up on...and really...what would be the POINT? That would be like breeding a Fresian to a spotted breed and pretending the patterned foal was pure...the Appaloosa is a BREED, not "just" a colour.

I would lean toward the Chimera explanation, or just a really bizarre Appy pattern. It doesn't really look typical of any of the pinto patterns to me.

Latest posts

Back