Changing Over

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildoak

Reaction score
Because of the drought here, we just bought round bales from Virginia...talk about freight costs lol! I'm sure there are plenty of Texas/Ok horses who have gone to northern states - have you had any concerns about changing them over to the higher protein hay? We normally feed coastal and alfalfa, and at times the TNT bagged alfalfa/timothy from TSC, so I don't know what to expect from the new hay. I'll find out tonight how they like it.
default_smile.png

Jan

Orchard / Timothy is what we feed our horses and they love it. Since that's what our have been on for so long, I don't know any tips about switching but with it coming from VA, I did want to make sure you are aware of fescue in case your hay has it and you would be feeding it to pregnant mares. Often that type of mix here does contain some fescue.

Jill, this doesn't contain fescue that I know of but thanks for the tip. It's not something I've ever had to worry about down here... This hay will likely be gone before it would become an issue anyway, but I will double check my information.

Jan

They could end up to be nearly the same in protein content. Just depends on who planted it, time of year, rain etc. I doubt you'd have any trouble in that department. I feed orchard grass year round. No problems and they love it. I'll bet your guys do too!

I am in Virginia and sometimes my hay guy brings coastal bermuda and other times orchard or orchard/timothy mix. Never had a problem switching back and forth just fed the same amount of the new bales. Funny to hear Virginia called a "Northern" state though, but I get it, I was born in Texas!

Back