Chanel's first show results and questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaniceZ

Reaction score
First I would like to say I am so proud of Chanel. She behaved like an old pro at her first time driving in an AMHR show this weekend. Nothing startled her and she stood still in the lineup, quite the accomplishment for her
default_wink.png

She got one first, one second and one third in the open class and two reserve champions in stake
default_biggrin.png

I also learnt a lot. I have been using a broken snaffle with her, which I was told is probably pinching her tongue. I was told a different type to try and a website to order it from, but I cannot remember for the life of me.
default_wacko.png
Any suggestions?

Also, one of the judges told me I need to get her 'driving into her head set by pushing her forward' rather then 'pulling her back into it' He told me this during her halter class the next day and then moved on to the next horse, so I didn't get a change to ask what he meant or how I could change that. So what do I need to change? my hands? Any Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Congratulations!! You know I'm dying to see pictures of the girl.
default_wub.png

JaniceZ said:
I also learnt a lot. I have been using a broken snaffle with her, which I was told is probably pinching her tongue. I was told a different type to try and a website to order it from, but I cannot remember for the life of me.
default_wacko.png
Any suggestions?
One of the most commonly suggested is a Myler. Does that sound familiar?
default_unsure.png

JaniceZ said:
Also, one of the judges told me I need to get her 'driving into her head set by pushing her forward' rather then 'pulling her back into it' He told me this during her halter class the next day and then moved on to the next horse, so I didn't get a change to ask what he meant or how I could change that. So what do I need to change? my hands? Any Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Pictures help.
default_biggrin.png
Generally speaking what a comment like that is referring to is a horse who is going along with her head and neck compressed and her hind end trailing. A horse who is working properly should be generating energy in her hindquarters and "coming through" to the bit, meaning she takes her weight on the rear, tightens her abdominal muscles, raises her forehand and extends her neck and poll forward. The head naturally falls onto the vertical when that happens as opposed to being pulled there. It sounds like maybe Chanel wasn't being real forward and you were holding a lot of tension on the reins to keep her nose in. Try softening the quality of your contact, imagining a more elastic feel instead of a wall in front of the horse, and see if you can get her to give and reach a little by doing it yourself. She needs energy to reach so try to keep her going at a nice forward gait with lots of impulsion and rhythm.

Leia

...or the judge might have been suggesting a French link, with a double joint, which lies softly across the horse's tongue without pinching or poking the roof of the mouth.

Iowa Valley Carriage has a great variety of good quality bits at reasonable prices.

Or possibly a mullen mouth bit? I've become a big fan of a mullen, which is a solid mouthpiece (no joints) that curves to accomadate their tongue and the shape of their mouth. When I'm asking for contact, I think it's got to be more comfortable for them to not have the 'nutcracker' effect of even a french link. I tried to put a french link on Jamie the other day - just because it was in the open bridle I use for starting horses (bitting/ground driving) and I was planning to lunge her in sliding sidereins because it was pouring out - and she thought it was THE END OF THE WORLD. Hawk isn't a big fan of anything other than his mullen either, but he's not quite so prone to drama as Miss Jamie is. She had a similar fit last year when I tried her in a Myler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks!
If this is your horse's first year in driving, it is very likely that she isn't muscled up enough in the backend and just needs more driving. When horses first start they often "pull" the cart with their chest instead of "pushing" with their hindend. It often just takes more miles of driving.

Latest posts

Back