Chains for showing halter obstacle.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHunterHorseFan

Reaction score
What are the pros and cons for using a halter chain when you show halter obstacle? I personally don't use them but my mom does and she was wondering what the advantages are and the disadvantages. Why you like or don't like them.

Maybe it's so you have to use lighter (more unnoticable) cues?

Andrea

Pros: as Andrea mentioned-ability to keep the horse's attention on you and your cues. A horse PROPERLY trained AND worked w/ a properly fit, adjusted, and 'used', halter chain, should be attentive and responsive, yet quiet. This 'aid' should be: of the right length and size(the kind that 'come on' 'big' horse lead ropes are too large); it should one where the links will lay 'flat' and not be used 'twisted', it should be placed properly on the horse, so that it loosens immediately and on its own when there is no pressure on it, and it should NEVER be used to 'punish' a horse! It should be short enough so that you do not 'hold' the lead shank "ON" the chain, but on the lead shank itself. It is simply a device to remind a horse to keep its attention on you, and to learn to be light and promptly obedient in its responses. When all this is properly attended to, I don't see that there would be any 'cons'!

Margo

Well said Margo. I think either way you are fine. The only reason I use a chain on my obstacle horses in the show ring is because of the style of the show halter I use. Otherwise, when we are training at home I just use a regular barn halter.

I use a chain under the chin as others said but I found that there can be one "con". Some horses (mini or big) will rear when they feel the chain under the chin. Be especially careful if it's a mini who might have sore "tooth bumps" under the chin. And of course, you need to make sure they are used to it at home before you use it at a show.

Latest posts

Back