Cedar Shavings.... yes or no?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you use cedar shavings in your stalls?

• Yes

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 70.4%

• Total voters

circlec

Reaction score
I have a chance to get free bags/bales of cedar shavings.... safe for horses? Thoughts, opinions??

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, cedar has a lot of oils which are not good for MOST animals, even though it smells nice!

I'd stay away!

Andrea

I just hate the smell of cedar, but the others are correct, not good for horse bedding.

You could use it for mulch around your property though. Free is ALWAYS good

I know a few farms that have used cedar shavings for many years in their big horse on minis stalls. But, the shavings are dust free and are the bigger shavings. None of the horses/minis have had any problems.

my grandfather used cedar shavings for his horses and they all got really lethargic and 2 of them developed minor rashes on their bellies. he has drafts so it would probably affect the minis alot worse!

You could use it for mulch around your property though. Free is ALWAYS good

GREAT IDEA!!! Wish we had that offer available.....we'd jump at it!
default_yes.gif

I use them - sparingly - for insect repellent properties, esp in the summer. My stalls are bedded with pellets and topped off with pine shavings, and in the summer months I add just a few handfuls of cedar shavings. Have never noticed a problem although I would not do the entire stall with them, if nothing else the cedar aroma would knock you over.

Jan

Latest posts

Back