carrot stick

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lildrummer

Reaction score
Hello,

does anyone have or know where I can find a used Parelli carrot stick or a resonablely priced new one????? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

Lildrummer

I have found that Silver Dollar Quarter Horse has the same quality as the Parelli stuff.

I have bought several things from them. They even have an option for you to customize a rope halter.

I sent them measurments for my little guy and they made a halter for him.

But they also have the training sticks that are just like Parelli's but way cheaper.

www.silverdollarqh.com

I just saw an ad on Craigs list in Ocala Fl. someone had 2 for 20.00. I will try to find the ad...couple of days ago listed.

Not being mean b/c I know some people are really into the Parelli Thing but......$$$$

My old carrot stick is now being used in my girlfriends veggie garden......works great holding up her tomatoe plants!!

Let me see if I can find the ad. for you....back later

Heidi

That is so sad.

I wouldn't be without my training stick. It is a great tool for training effectively.

But it isn't just Parelli that uses them. I believe Clinton Anderson does also. His is just white....and therefore not a "carrot stick".

I adore Clinton Anderson, and I have one of his "handy sticks". I am not sure about the price difference compared to Parelli, but it may be worth checking into.

default_smile.png

I have both a Parelli and a Clinton Anderson one. The Parelli is a bit higher quality in my opinion, but you know what on his website they're around $70, I got my new Clinton one at a tack shop for $20.

Ellen, I just looked for the ad I told you about and now cant seem to find it...I thought it was listed in Ocala...looked a few other places and cant seem to see it again. Sorry. Please, I have nothing against Parelli but just think they price their things very high...only because it says Parelli. I attended week long clinic w/them at their Fla. location about 4 yrs. ago...that was when I got my carrot stick at a reduced price of 60.00....because they wouldnt allow me to use a Clinton Anderson tool...they said it "wouldnt work as well" UM....strange

Look on general livestock sites.

The "natural horsemanship carrot sticks" are basically overpriced HOG SORTING STICKS.

Hog sorting sticks are just fiberglass poles with a handle and a rubber tip. I'm assuming it's the same thing, no??? I guess "carrot stick" is a euphemism for "hog sorting stick", let's be smart about this.

Personally, my horses are NOT hogs... and they aren't treated like them, either
default_wink.png
Nothing against the NH people, just their ripping-off of people who blindly try to get good results by buying their cr@p. You know, the $70 hog sorting sticks, the $100 rope halters... sheesh...

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh,

no offense taken. I bought my carrot stick probably 4-5 years ago when you could buy the halter, rope and stick for about $100.

I am personally shocked at the prices myself. I just went to a Parelli thing in Fort Worth and was even more shocked at the price for the DVDs.

But I do like the theories and the use of the equipment. But I have started ordering from Silver Dollar QH because it is way less for the same product.

I bought a orange carrot stick at the AMHR Nationals from Dale Lutke. I don't see them listed on his website http://www.dsharness.com but he had them in 2007. You might want to contact him to see if he still has them. I'm thinking I paid around $15-$20, though it was a long time ago. I remember that it was much cheaper than other places.

Another place I've found them is a place called Big Jim's at the Equine Affaire in Columbus, OH. I found a website that might have the same "Big Jim's" listed http://www.horsemanship101.com/411/Tack/St...y-Kentucky.html

I LOVE my carrot stick and didn't even see it used in training. I like it better than a whip because it's lighter in weight and easy to carry. I can remove the whip part to do other training things, such as getting the horses used to being touched all over without using my hands and keeping my head out of the way of being kicked (Always important, especially with my riding horses)
default_smile.png
Then I put the whip part back on and do the same. You can tie bags to it too for sacking out. And many more things, but you probably already know, since you're looking for it.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can get you a stick and string in several different colors. The stick and string combo is $42 plus shipping

You can get a 3' stick and 4' string or a 4' stick with a 6' string. For my mini's I like the 3' stick and the 4' stick for my large ponies between 12hh to 13.3hh. I just got a stick and string in for my friend and she ordered a purple stick with a bright green handle. You can also get 3 initials stamped on the leather keeper at the end for FREE. The sticks are the same thing that Parelli uses.

Kim

I can sell you a used dressage whip with the lash removed and a rag tied on the end and you can get the exact same results with it. I'll let you have it for a mere 50 bucks!
default_rolleyes.gif

really funny thing about the Parelli thing..I purchased a horse from his ex wife karen , and it was "trained Parelli style" as she said she was the origional brains behind this training . This horse can round up cows , but cant be ridden by anyone other than an advanced rider. I was assured she would be great for me a beginner. She is now an expensive pasture horse . and I was taken advantage of. When I approched him on this issue of selling an unrideable 20 year old horses that was under weight and unvaccinated as a Parelli horse totally trained for 2500., he had nothing to say. hmmmm
default_unsure.png
make you own stick...it will do the same thing, its how you use it not the color of the stipid stick. you dont need his expensive package .

Latest posts

Back