Can't believe I saw this on craigslist today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
So, I was browsing around craigslist today, when I came across this ad:

26 inches, double registered, old Del Tersa Bloodlines no studdish behaviors unless a mare flirts with him...lives in a group, plays nice with everyone/all sizes, not a pocket pet but easy to catch and handle. HE IS A DWARF. He is older tho has at least 10 good years left in him, and he can still get the job done, have mares in foal to him now and babies out of him last year. First $200 out the door, price is firm and cash and carry. TIRED OF THE TIRE KICKERS.....if you arent showing up with a trailer, then I know you arent serious, dont waste my time (sorry but tired of playing petting zoo to every parent with kids in tow out there, NO DREAMER, either you want him or you dont and if you do you will have cash and trailer) Only reason he is selling is becuz I no longer need his services and will be using a different boy on my mares. Due to the fact he is a DWARF (big head, stubby legs) and not just a mini, he does turn heads...nice lawn ordament. Avail eves. If you do not email with a NAME and eve oh number I will not respond due to spam.

I re read it three times because I couldnt believe my eyes. Some people make me sick. They are using him being a dwarf as a selling point, and advertising him as stallion material? What is wrong with some people...

Well....I know what I'll be when I grow up. I'll be the crazy lady who buys up all of the dwarves in her area and gelds them. Heck, I'm halfway there. I've gelded one already. Now all I have to do is buy one and geld it.

Of course, if I were an adult and settled down and had money I would march right up there, buy the horse, put in the trailer, and THEN say what I had to say to the owner.

I really hope that those mares were non-carriers. If those mares were carriers then those foals have a 50/50% chance of being a dwarf or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. The only thing we can do is educate as many people as we can.
sad.gif

There's an ad just like this on one of the larger horse classified sites, too, but they're asking 10x more for that one. Makes me sick.

Since the horse is a dwarf ALL the foal have a 50/50 chance of being carriers, irrespective of the dams status!

Honestly, WHAT IS THE POINT????

default_new_shocked.gif
For once, I am speechless!!!

Even if the foals look alright, as said they will carry the dwarf gene. So some unsuspecting person buys the foal, BREEDS IT, and wonders where the dwarf comes from. GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flag it!

This is disgusting
default_no.gif
Talk about flooding OUR breed with dwarf genes!

I didn't know too much about dwarfs until I started learning from all of you. Some people out there are just plain stupid or taking the publics money by saying what nice pets they are and how cute! Unless everyone knows the truth about dwarfism then it isn't going to stop. Too bad backyard breeding can't be banned. Don't mean to insult the breeders here, you are not the ones I am concerned about.

I too, am speechless....Some people, should NOT own animals, period.

As sad and frustrating as it is, you just can't fix stupid
default_frusty.gif

"Backyard breeding" is not the problem, stupid people are the problem, no matter what size their breeding program or how they go about it. Stupid is as stupid does.

default_no.gif
I have people calling all the time asking about the "dwarfs" and wanting one to breed, to make more dwarfs.

This is so much like what my mother has to deal with all the time only with her Yorkshire Terriers. Everyone pays HUGE bucks for the Teacup Yorkies because they fit in purses and look cute but fact is, 1. there is no such breed as the Teacup Yorkie, 2. being a teacup is much like a dwarf, they have huge and life threatening life diseases like hypoglycemia and should be monitored very closely. Instead people will pay thousands for one! Makes me angry because we actually just discovered a girl who bought a male from us that was 'teacup' and was breeding it to another yorkie in the area and when we found out we called all the local people who bought our pups and come to find out it was related to the 'teacup' male she was breeding half brother and sister. We called her to let her know and she said 'Yeah, I know, you think I'm dumb?' My mom bite her lip lol but then we didn't let it go, we had sold the teacup male with a contract that said it must be neutered within a year of purchase, but discovered we were a few months early of the deadline so can't touch the issue. However, the puppies were born and we were actually selling another puppy of ours and there was 2 women there, one buying a pup and the other just a friend. Well the friend told us about her puppy she bought locally and it had Parvo and she had spent thousands to keep her puppy alive and it survived but Parvo is completely preventable with the proper vaccines. All our puppies get 2 shots before leaving, a vet check up and a signed contract telling of spaying/neutering within a year, and vet check within 2wks of purchase and tons of other things. To us you are not buying a puppy, you are purchasing a life-long friend. Well anyway, we found out the puppy the girl had purchased was the same lady we had trouble with. She was selling the puppies as being registered when we do not sell our puppies with full registration, just limited so you can't register the puppies from that dog. She was saying they were vet-checked when they were not, and as having all shots with no records of it happening and obviously not actually doing it when one of the puppies is purchased and brought into a vet's and have the vet say it's got parvo.

People are retarded and most can not be helped. We won't stop following this lady because whether she likes it or not, that is OUR baby, just because we sold it doesn't mean we don't care. We know everyone that has our pups and we get mail all the time with pictures and updates and it's wonderful to see so many pleased customers but when something like this happens or like you stated above and someone missuses an animal's faults for their own wealth, those are the people I worry about. Abusers of people go to jail and so should abusers of animals. None of this being fined, jail time is what they need.

LOL uhmmm just wanted to make sure folks knew this ad is NOT mine. Have had a couple forum members get in touch w/me since we happen to have had a similar-sounding horse for sale.

We had a 26" (2 yr old) Silver Bay Del Teras bred colt for sale. Though NO dwarfy tendencies, none in their "history" either. He's refined, straight, and show quality.

Anyhow, he's sold to LA to a great show home - and not for sale anylonger...

Just wanted folks to know this ad was NOT our horse!

No worries Candi, this little guy is in florida. I was looking at show carts and came across him.

The way I see it is if she knows enough to know hes a dwarf, she knows enough to know its a a genetic deformity, not a desired trait.

I know if he were here my neighbor would add him to his next load headed to Mexico. He had a mini donkey and a couple other minis last week. They are not there now.

This is so much like what my mother has to deal with all the time only with her Yorkshire Terriers. Everyone pays HUGE bucks for the Teacup Yorkies because they fit in purses and look cute but fact is, 1. there is no such breed as the Teacup Yorkie, 2. being a teacup is much like a dwarf, they have huge and life threatening life diseases like hypoglycemia and should be monitored very closely. Instead people will pay thousands for one!
Your generalizations about the tiny yorkies is not true. I owned a tiny 1 3/4lb stud. Never sick a day in his life. He passed at 15. I also had a daughter of his (also 1 3/4 lbs and never bred) that just passed and was only sick the last week of her life. She was 13. I raised Yorkies for over 25 years and I do taoffensence at that generalizatioDuringing the time I raised yorkies we bred one female to an outside dog. We ended up with a 25lb yorkie male that was never bred due to his size. We never bred to the outside dog again. So, to toss out a comparison of a tiny yorkie and a Dwarf mini is NOT TRUE and to try damageage someones reputation by calling other yorkie owners about the tiny dog appallinging. Unless you know for a fact that this particular dog has illness.

Latest posts

Back