Canon bone measurement

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKG miniatures

Reaction score
I have been seeing ads for miniatures that have canon bone measurements in them. Is there a formula that says how tall they will end up?

Sue

[SIZE=12pt]I always take the measurement and multiply it by four and then add two for good measure. [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't just the cannon bone either, it is the coronet band to the crease of the knee. The horse has to be at least 3 months old and for minis you do multiply times 4 add 2 and the horse will usually mature w/in 1/2" one way or the other.

With QH you don't add the 2 inches, so I'm assuming there is some horse in between QH size and mini size that you only add 1 inch!

Done correctly it is quite accurate.
default_wub.png

This may be a silly question but can you use the same equation for a mini that is older but still growing? Like say, 11 months old? If not, is there a cut off age that the cannon bone equation works?

Last edited by a moderator:
Over three months and older to infinity it shouldn't change. I've actually heard that the cannon bone itself is as long at birth as it will ever be, but the pastern changes in that first three months evidently. I've tried it at birth, then at 3 months, and again at age two. the measurement that doesn't match is the one at birth!
default_wacko.png

Can I ask a different question regarding this method of measurement? I don't want to hijack the thread.........But, This measurement doesn't take into account the 'depth of body' of the horse. I don't understand how it can be very accurate without 'depth of body' factored in some way. Can someone explain to me? I've wondered about this for years!
default_rolleyes.gif

Say you have 2 horses that have the same lower leg measurement........One has a deep body and matures at 30" the other has a small barrel (shallow body) and matures at 28" yet the lower leg measures the same on both horses. How do you compensate for this using this type of height prediction?

Thanks,

Charlotte

The narrower barrel has a longer forearm, have you noticed that the bigger barreled horses always seem to have stubby forearms? I've tried this on both body styles and it does work w/in 1/2" on mature height!

icspots have you found the measurement at birth to figure out taller than they actually finish or shorter? Just curious because I have a filly who had a 7.5" cannon bone at birth and that means (by going x4 + 2) she should finish around 32" but she is barely 25" at a year old and unless she does a sudden sprout (always possible of course) she won't likely make 32.

You can do it at birth, but I would recomend waiting until the foal is abotu a week old. Most foals are weak in the pasterns when they are born and need a few days to build strength and straighten out, then you can measure from the corenet band to the middle of the knee, where there is a "dip". You can do it at any age, and it should be the same assuming you were accurate. It is harder to find the middle of the knee when they are older and the growth plate closes.

AS far as deep bodied horses and shallow bodied horses, that doesn't effect their height. Tehir height is based on the withers, down through the shoulder and legs, not the rib cage/girth. The point about the shorter forearms, I'm not sure if it is true, or if it is just an optical illusion.

Latest posts

Back