Canadians Moving to and working in the USA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a Canadian and I was recently offered a job in the USA. The job is on a horse farm training and grooming stuff like that. And I was just wondering if anyone has any experience in doing somehting like this. What do I need as far a Visa or Green card. I have looked and looked o the Internet and I have read numerous articles and I am just getting more confused. I want to eventually move to the USA perminently but I don't even know how to get down there for this job..legally. If anyone can help I would apprecaite it very Much. Thank You.

"I want to eventually move to the USA perminently but..."

:new_shocked: Okay, can I ask WHY? I can understand wanting to come down to do a job and see what there is to see but I would never change your citizenship... not for this country... and definitely not coming from Canada.
default_wacko.png
:

Go to your local Goverment agent.They will point you in the right direction.

You need to have the job ready and waiting. You need to find out what visa will work the best - whether a TN - renewed every year... or an H visa... a green card is not going to happen. You need to have an immigration lawyer to help see what category you fit into - IF you fit into one. You cannot do this casually on your own. Trust me.

You will need a letter from the employer offering you employment with a set time limit - detaiiling your duties, hours and the salary to be paid. It must be worded exactly as the INS/Homeland Security wants it to be. You need a degree... a resume... and maybe references. I repeat - you and the employer need to use an immigration lawyer....

If I had known ahead of time what hassles and stress I would go through dealing with immigration... I would not have done it.

:no:

I can't help you as i don't know what you would need. But i did want to give you a heads up.

Horse farms are notorious for overworking their employees and not following thru with agreements made ahead of time. Now not saying all of them but i know of enough of them that do,so get EVERYTHING IN WRITING AHEAD OF TIME. Hours to be worked wages any charges for board and room, things you would be responsible for etc.... just be very careful and always keep some money where you can get at it if you need to go home.

Good luck,

Bonnie

I want to eventually move to the USA perminently
I forgot to add... NEVER say THAT ^^^^ when you are applying... or the immigration officers will turn you around and send you home. Your visa will be a temporary work visa only - and you cannot imply any desire to remain in the country on a permanent basis. I know it sounds confusing - trust me - it is!
default_wacko.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could just fly down to Mexico and walk across the border.

default_sad.png

:aktion033:
default_yes.gif
:

Sheesh thanks AL now I have ice tea on my computer screen!!

I would love to meet this funny guy who I can count on to make me dirty up my computer screen!

Are you going to be at Nationals in Tulsa???

Your wife must walk around in hysterics............

Oh lordy that was funny l had to read it twice before l got walking across the border. :risa_suelos: :risa_suelos:

Geez, Al, it's lucky I didn't have a mouthful of tea when I read that suggestion. Walk across the border from Mexico....snork.

The only people I know that have gone down to the US to work in the last few years have been nurses & a couple technicians that operate the hospital diagnostic machines, MRI's & such. They have no problem at all getting their work visas.

Did you know Jeff Dixon, who showed Hackneys here for years? He went down a few years ago to work as a nurse, but once he was down there he was training horses on the side--I have to think that's the easiest way to do it, have a degree in a high demand field & get your visa based on that, then do the horse thing as an extra.

Or, you could marry an American....

":new_shocked: Okay, can I ask WHY? I can understand wanting to come down to do a job and see what there is to see but I would never change your citizenship... not for this country... and definitely not coming from Canada.
default_wacko.png
:
Jeesh... :no: There are a lot of people that give everything they have to come here, and they stay. This is the best place on the planet to live, even if it's not perfect. And there are no walls to keep you here if you so dislike it.

I have family in Germany who would like to immigrate in about 5 years. They are already getting their ducks in a row. I hope it works out for you Diamond J.

Latest posts

Back