can you safely freeze pelleted feed; like strategy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdtexas

Reaction score
Someone mentioned on another thread about freezing their feed; this is the first I had heard of it. Does anyone know if it's a safe thing to do? I use purina strategy pelleted and would love it if I could freeze half the bag till time for it; I only use it on one 13 yr old gelding and he will only eat about 3 cups or slightly less a day. The feed become mealy about 2/3rds down and not good any longer. I do keep it inside in garage in galvanized metal garbage can with lid. The garage does not get real hot because of it's design and location. I could freeze it in large tuppeware type containers ; I have room in my chest freezer if it's an okay thing to do. I guess I could ask Purina also.

thanks for any advice!

If you would put it in cardboad or plastic tub it will last longer in a meatle or steel can ih will draw mostuer from condensation.

Not sure if it was me or not on the other thread that you may be referring to.......

I did mention using a chest type freezer for storage, but UNPLUGGED, and for storage only. We've never done it ourselves, but I've seen people use broken freezers to keep pests out of their grain. My only concern would be using it around small children.

As for freezing grain? That would indeed be a good question to ask Purina!

MA

I think that every one of us that lives in the North can tell you that yes you can freeze grain. Ours freezes every winter in the barn. How long you can freeze it for I have no idea.

We keep ours in a metal grain bin. The kind that is made just for grain. It has three bins that hold up to 5 50 lb bags each. Since we have some really cold days up here and even the water in the inside water buckets are iced over on the coldest days I am sure the grain is frozen too.

We have more problems with sweet type feeds spoiling in the heat. We have not problem with grain spoiling in the cold.

[SIZE=14pt]I have the SAME problem here! I dont feed much grain in the summer, so I dont use it as fast and it gets weavels in it. It also breaks down. Dont think I can freeze very much though. Have my freezer full of stuff and is about to get fuller! Lets us know what Purina says about freezeing it!![/SIZE]

April

Yes, you can freeze Strategy. It is what I use up here in NY and in winter...well it freezes pretty good and I have never had any trouble. I've never gotten weevils either and I buy 100# at a time for 3 horses, but I keep it in those rubbermaid sealed tubs.

I have frozen the protein pellets, dog food & I keep our extra boxes of cereal in the freezer so I don't see why not.

Latest posts

Back