Can I get a Critique on my Filly please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm far from an expert, but my favorite things about her are her head and her hip/croup. Very nice mare IMO.

Well, I wouldn't represent myself as an expert on conformation either but if she were mine I would look at the picture and this is what I would think;

Nicely balanced body (length - height)

Good hip

Neck ties in where I want it

Nice short back and good length to her under line

Lovely colour (ok not conformation but I do like buckskin ;) )

Her neck is a bit short

She's butt high (could be a stage in her growth that will pass, you don't say how old she is)

I also find her head a bit too big

Over all I'd say she's a nice looking girl and you should be proud of her
default_smile.png

She looks to be a nice show filly or a cute broodmare in a few years. I like a lot about her and theres some things I dont Like about her.

Starting with her head I think It is a little long and not a pleasing as it could be. She does have nice expression to her face tho. Cute!
default_wub.png
Her neck is not as long as I like them, and it does appear to be ewed. I dont know if its because you have her head so high or what.

Her neck ties in at her shoulder low, and her shoulder angles are steep. Her front end, IMO is where the majority of her faults are.

She has a nice length of back and looks very filled out for a yearling(thats a great thing!
default_smile.png
) I love her short flat croup and her high tailset. And she has a VERY nicely porportioned hip! She is a tad bum high as someone pointed out, but that can go dwon with age and maturity. Even with her front part faults she is a very nicely balanced filly throught her body.

PS: I would take more pictures etc next spring (whenever that is in australia
default_rolleyes.gif
) and have us critique her then. I think she is starting her yearling gawky stage where she is not going to look her best. Just a thought because alot of her faults could change for the better.

Alex
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be a bit presumptuous and answer for Alex.
default_smile.png
A ewe neck is also called upside down by some people. There is an increase in muscling on the bottom side of her neck, thus it looks to be on up side down (similar to the way an older ewe(sheep) looks, when she's been sheared and you can see it ;) ) The neck may look this way on your filly (sorry I see you DID say she was a yearling) partly because of the angle you have her head at and may also improve somewhat with maturity. Learning to carry herself properly once she's mature can help build muscle along the top of her neck as well.

Yep reignmaker got it for me. I have first had experience with ewe neck on my 2 yr old. With maturity it can really fix up and I also started ground drivig him young and he developed a great head set and it really made those neck muscles flex and fixed his neck. I did all I could to prevent it from being a future co formation fault.

Good luck

I don't have much to add except I think her head might look even nicer if the noseband on the halter were moved up a bit higher on her nose. That might even make the head look shorter and in better proportion. I love the expression anyway!

You'd have to send her to me so I can really put some hands on that face!!!!! Lovely!!!!!

Latest posts

Back