CAn a Downs Syndrome child show in AMHR/ AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suen

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a Downs Syndrome child (16). He has expressed a lot of interest in my minis and was wondering what the rules are for a disable child showing in the mini shows? He would need a lot of help in the ring as he is probably on the lower side of Downs Syndroms average(?), but would love to let him try. Would they have to lease the horse from me? I would be showing the same horse so that wouldn't work. Hoping someone on here has some info.....

Thanks ahead for any help.....

Most shows offer "PMC" (Physically/Mentally Challenged) classes and if they don't you can ask them to include one! Another person can go out in the ring with him as a helper as long as the person showing is actually holding the lead. You can use the same horse (in different classes of course). I think it is awesome to see the kids with challenges get out there and show! We had a blind boy show at our recent show and he was ear to ear smiling because HIS horse won a 1st place!!
default_wink.png
default_aktion033.gif

Absolutely. I helped a young boy with Downs at the World Show for about 5 years. S/N classes are very flexible and you do what you need to do to make it work. Youth do not need to lease a horse unless they want to go for hi point awards in AMHA. Our local club has S/N classes when we need them.

Where are you located.

Yes they can! As LindaL said - if you see a class list and it doesn't have the PMC classes - ask to have them added.

We are in Great Bend, Kansas..... pretty much middle of state. Can't thank you all enough for all the replies and I'm sure I'll get more. He would be so excited to be included in something like this....

Absolutely. I helped a young boy with Downs at the World Show for about 5 years. S/N classes are very flexible and you do what you need to do to make it work. Youth do not need to lease a horse unless they want to go for hi point awards in AMHA. Our local club has S/N classes when we need them.

Where are you located.

Even for open shows (i.e., not AMHA / AMHR sanctioned), just contact the steward before the show and ask if you (or someone) can accompany him in the ring for 'regular' classes. I would bet most would say "Absolutely!" and be thrilled to have him show!

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have said - absolutely!
default_aktion033.gif

And I may be wrong about this, but I believe I've seen SN children (teenagers) showing in youth classes (when an "assistant" isn't needed). And I think I've seen that in both A and R.

The Area VI Club has traditionally offered PMC classes at their shows and hosts an AMHR show in Lyons, KS in May.

Look back in your MHW to last years World Show reports. See the article on Elena and Toy Soldier. There is a short piece about her in the Dec 2011 issue too.
default_aktion033.gif

I think you'll find that young man quite welcome at about any show he attends.

The OK miniature horse club has AMHA pointed shows in Stillwater, 2 in Chickasha and there will be a community show in Guthrie in the fall of 2012 also. There are AMHA shows in Wichita. One around the first of May and the ....

August 3- 5, 2012

Central Regional Championship Show

Kansas Pavilion, Valley Center KS (Wichita)

He can earn points at all AMHA shows towards Honor Roll awards. All AMHA shows offer Special Needs classes and many of those participants go on to enter open classes too if it is something they can manage.

good luck to your young friend!

If I can answer any questions about the shows I've mentioned feel free to email me.

Thanks to everyone who has answered my question..... I do plan on showing this year, and its going to be a learning year for me too so just plan on having fun with it. I think it will be a great confidence booster for him (Josh) to show. Visited with his mom a little bit after seeing all the replies on here and she is receptive to the idea to try it so will keep you all informed...

Thanks again....

We are in Great Bend, Kansas..... pretty much middle of state. Can't thank you all enough for all the replies and I'm sure I'll get more. He would be so excited to be included in something like this....

I just wanted to say it looks like you are pretty close to me. I am by Lindsborg KS so just over an hour from you...

I do not show so don't know the answer to your question but I know the AMHR show is going to be in Lyon's in May so not too far away from you at all
default_smile.png
Good Luck to you and your friend in the show ring!

Folks with special needs can show in any classes - open AND PMC. But only in youth 7 and under (AMHR) are "spotters" permitted. So it might be a good idea to have him go in the PMC classes and see how he does before he goes into the youth or open classes.

Latest posts

Back