Buying my first Miniature

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaAH

Reaction score
I might be jinxing myself here but....naaahhh.

Tomorrow I got a very interested buyer looking at my big boy. If he sells....I GET TO BUY MY FIRST MINI!!!!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

So I don't know exactly what I want to do yet. I think....I pretty much know I will be interested in driving. But I guess I can take some driving lessons (is that possible?)
default_smile.png
to see if it's for me. I was thinking of therapy horse work too and just having a few as (I hate to call them pets) but as my little buddies to love and take care of. The horse I am selling was the first one I looked at and fell in love. He was chestnut but now I want color and pizazz! Is that being selfish? I want a flashy little mini with a great big heart. Example....I drooled over this one and even my husband did!

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=98129

But I did see one that caught my eye at a breeders but I did not do anything but look because I don't like window shopping
default_smile.png
I want cash in hand. lol But I love horses of color. I love grey dapple and I love strawberry roan (do they make mini's in that color) lol I did find a wonderful breeder that has answered many questions but I want to learn as much as I can. Even thought it's just a smaller horse....it's still kinda scary because it's a whole new direction for me. I want to be a good mini mommy.

So what do I look for? If I was looking for a Tennesse Walking horse I know exactly what I would want but I am mini clueless. Is there a certain breed line to look at....one to stay away from. For example one line might be very go-ey while another is more laid back. I don't want to make the mistake I made with my first horse. I hear to buy a first good quality mini that is versitile so I can choose what interest me, show quality without having to break the bank. I just want my first mini to be done right and buy the right one. And I do like the little Quarter/Draft types I read about best.

Sorry this is so much at once but I am so excited!

I'm not really into driving so I won't try to comment on what you should look for in a driving horse, but in general, and I know we've all heard this a thousand times, but buy the absolute best you can afford. It cost just as much to care for a mediocre horse as it does a fabulous horse. I suggest you find a "look" that appeals to you and focus on that. You know you want flashy, so that's a place to start. But obviously the most important thing - especially if you want to enjoy your horse for a while - is one that is built correctly and soundly (is that a word?) to that it can actually drive without coming up lame.

Good luck with your shopping! It's a fun time!!
default_smile.png

I have this article on my website, you can see if there is anything valuable on there that you might not have thought about:

How To Buy a Mini

Good luck, if you think you have found " a good one" you can send pictures to me for an assessment, I don't mind helping you find a good fit.

Andrea

If you are looking for a driving horse then you want to be sure that he has a good bite and good feet first. There are several articles on my website on shopping for a Mini as well as conformation and hoof care which might help you. I would advise you to take Andrea up on her kind offer as well - there is nothing better than having an experienced person to help you shop.

Your experience with big horses will serve you well. I strongly suggest you find a local club( there are several that are very strong in California), join one and then after you have educated yourself as much as you can. Find and listen to a mentor. I think you have had several offers already here on the forum, so that gives you a good place to start. Unfortunately we are in Texas and you are in California, so we can't be of much help other than to refer you to folks we trust there in California. Which we would be glad to do for you. There are a lot of good folks that are really into driving in the State.
default_aktion033.gif

I would strongly suggest you attend several shows(the AMHR and AMHA national and world shows are coming up soon), find out what you want to do and what it is you actually like.
default_wink.png

Take it slow and only spend your money after you really understand what you want and where you want to go with your mini.
default_wacko.png

As far as what you look for, think about the following:

1. Correct and functional conformation.

2. Temperment

3. Level of training

4. Age

5. Your experience and level of expertise to train your horse to do what you want it to do for you.

One other note, I noticed you said you really like color. Don't make the mistake of sacrificing correctness for color. I have seen a lot of folks make that mistake only to be dissatisfied later.

Good Luck and let us know if we can be of help. Oh I almost forgot one warning, these little guys are habit forming. LOL
default_wub.png

I would really recommend a gelding, already trained to drive by a reputable trainer (too many home jobs are questionable). Look for nice, straight legs, good hoofs, good bite and something you find attractive. They make minis every day, so take your time. And, yes... ANY color you like in biggies comes in mini
default_yes.gif

Jill, I would have to disagree wtih you about only purchasing a gelding that was trained by a "trainer". Where I would agree there are many poorly trained driving horses, it goes both ways. Some home trained horses are very well trained. There are many Mini owners that are not trainers, who have been in horses for years and know how to properly train a driving horse. There are also many "trainers" who have butchered the job of breaking a horse. Anyone can hang up a sign and say that they are "trainers" yet have never been in horses before and learn by trial and error to break a horse for driving.

I have owned such horses who were with "top trainers" and I have had to take the horse back to the beginning and retrain the horse, which is three times as much work. I prefer to take a youngster and start fresh.

I would recomend anyone looking to purchase their first Mini to do a lot of research first. Go to some shows, talk to people, see what one likes. If you want to show, buy the best that you can afford. The heavy draft horse look does not do well in the show ring, halter or driving. But one needs to go to the shows to see. Better yet, go to the AMHA World and the AMHR Nationals if one can. Here is where the better horses are. Local shows do not always have top quality horses.

There may be a local breeder that has what you want, but look through out the U.S. That horse that you admire was shipped to Germany from the U.S. It may be worth it to have your ideal horse shipped to you.

Most of all, have fun learning and looking, but remember once you own one, there will be more. You can never have enough Mini's.
default_laugh.png

Jill, I would have to disagree wtih you about only purchasing a gelding that was trained by a "trainer".
Actually, what I said was "reputable trainer". And that's how I feel. It makes me cringe seeing some of the advice and instructions offered out as driving training advice by some. For my money, really, I'd rather have an untrained horse but I do know both how to start one and reputable trainers I feel comfortable with. Some of the steps that are skipped in the training of many minis is a nightmare waiting to happen. The way so many owners (and some trainers) do not treat / train minis like "real horses" is one reason our breed is not taken seriously by much of the horse world -- "we" don't take them seriously ourselves when we skip steps and do things different just because they are small.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that wasn't mentioned here (but is on one of the websites) is SIZE. It is easy to think of miniature horses as all being "small" but size can matter. For example, most people prefer driving minis that are on the taller side, while therapy horses, or those that visit nursing homes are usually on the smaller side. Of course those are just generalizations and there are plenty of exceptions, but size is something else to keep in mind! Also, there is a wide range of types of driving, so you may get different opinions, depending on who you ask. For example, I prefer a driving horse with a calm temperament, a nicely sloping shoulder, and a long stride, but other people may like higher leg action and/or a hotter personality. Driving clubs (they don't have to be for minis) can be a good place to learn more about driving.

We breed only pintos, so I know it is possible to get what you want with color, but you do need to take your time.

Thanks for all the replys and help.

I actually found a breeder literally down the road who happens to be listed on this site. I spent two days with her and on the second day drug my husband out to see her too so he could see what all the fuss was about.
default_smile.png
That was a month ago. She was very informative and helpful. I was even ecstatic to find someone from the board here knows her personally and speaks highly of her. I was interested in getting a mare because I want to be able to breed a few years from now. And I don't have to stop at just one.
default_wub.png
I planned to have 3 the maximum.

I have also looked on Dreamhorse, Equine.com etc but that's always so iffy unless I think you buy from a breeder, am I right?

Melissa, I am so happy that you found someone close to you for a mentor! That is awesome!! Since you are planning ahead don't forget to look closely at what you want for yourself and your hubby and always look at the whole picture. Always buy with conformation first in mind but there are other factors to look at (IMHO) once you have established that a mini's/pony's conformation is correct if you are thinking about breeding. In example, do you want performance horses or halter horses. Do you see yourselves with pintos, solids, silvers, dilutes etc? Yes, you can have them all if that is what you want.
default_yes.gif
Disposition! Read very closely and soak it all in before jumping the gun.

Melissa, I am so happy that you found someone close to you for a mentor! That is awesome!! Since you are planning ahead don't forget to look closely at what you want for yourself and your hubby and always look at the whole picture. Always buy with conformation first in mind but there are other factors to look at (IMHO) once you have established that a mini's/pony's conformation is correct if you are thinking about breeding. In example, do you want performance horses or halter horses. Do you see yourselves with pintos, solids, silvers, dilutes etc? Yes, you can have them all if that is what you want.
default_yes.gif
Disposition! Read very closely and soak it all in before jumping the gun.
Thanks. I bought a few books a month ago on mini's and I have been reading and reading. It's funny because I know alot of it just because I already had horses but going in that direction is still scary. I will definately have conformation the first priority. But I am seeing more and more that I like Pintos which is funny because I never did in the big horses. I also like grey dapples and appys'. I am not one for solids unless they have some intense colors....I love the chocolate Rocky Mountain horses with the flaxen manes.

The lady near me is pretty much there for me 24/7 if I were to buy one of her horses. And she really is so genuine. AND...she is well known in the area. Been there for 28 years doing this.

As you have a breeder close by - ask her if she does not have something that suits you, her opinions on other options in your area. She should be able to give you the names of some other reputable places to visit, etc. I know I've paid referral fees to other breeders that send people here.

As you want to drive, do therapy and possibly breed - you need to really be picky or else get one that fits closest to your goals and think about what you want to do after you have a bit of hands on experience. I'm with Jill on this - go for a gelding. Keep the hormones out of the equation if you don't need them. And not to be mean, but breeding - I would discourage that. Only as you can easily get the perfect filly/colt in the future without the hassle of breeding!

Too many traumatic losses - infertile mare, slips foal, foal dies at birth, mare dies, let alone the months of anxiety on MareStare, it isn't easy or fun! The live foals are great but the losses are not. There is also the option of 'buying ahead - I mean if you like the breeders horses, talk to her about a pre-buy on a breeding of your choice - there are lots of options without undertaking the risks associated with breeding minis. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but breeding is not for the faint of heart or something to be entered into lightly.

As for these options - it doesn't hurt to shop! The more you look at the more you will educate your eye and learn what you do/don't want! Just don't rush into something if you can help it. It helps you become more critical (in a good way) on conformation, advertising jargon, etc.

I have also looked on Dreamhorse, Equine.com etc but that's always so iffy unless I think you buy from a breeder, am I right?

Hang out on the Forum - lots of fabulous information here!

Good luck on your quest to find the perfect mini for you!

As you want to drive, do therapy and possibly breed - you need to really be picky or else get one that fits closest to your goals and think about what you want to do after you have a bit of hands on experience. I'm with Jill on this - go for a gelding. Keep the hormones out of the equation if you don't need them. And not to be mean, but breeding - I would discourage that. Only as you can easily get the perfect filly/colt in the future without the hassle of breeding!
I agree! Geldings are amazing. I have three.
default_laugh.png
Also one mare that won't and can't be bred.

Good luck on your search!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back