Buying Caps and Gowns

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I guess I'm a dinosaur for real because my high school had us rent gowns for graduation and we just kept the tassles of the cap.. I never heard of having to buy these before.

I just got hit up with Michael's cap and gown bill that they have to buy here for $250. bucks plus tax and that seems insane to me. :new_shocked:

I think this is really dumb that they have to buy them and not have a place to rent them.

Anyone else?

:new_shocked: We paid a "grad fee" at the beginning of the semester, to go towards activities (we did fundraising too), and it also paid for our gown rentals and our cap. We got to keep the cap, and the school owned the gowns in all kinds of sizes. We used them for school pictures, signed them out to get professional photos done, and then signed one out again for graduation day. Buying grad gowns though ummm... I don't think so! What do they do for the kids that can't afford it, not let them go to graduation? (ok, I admit I wish I'd had an excuse not to go to mine
default_rolleyes.gif
: )

Forgot to mention, that grad fee was only about $15-30 (can't remember) and the kids that really couldn't pay, were still allowed to go to activities and sign out a gown. I think the grad fee mostly covers the cost of the grad cap, and a yearly cleaning for the gowns after graduation day. Activities were almost completely covered by fundraising.

I know we bought our caps and tassels, but the school provided the gowns (don't recall if it was a rental type thing or not). Buying the gown is just ridiculous.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Thats outrageous l know for my last kid that graduated l paid 28 bucks for rental but that was some 6 years ago now..

Well I can't remember what I paid for my High school stuff........been a few years.

But I just ordered my college stuff - cap/gown/tassel last month and it was only $40 or so.......and that was to Buy not rent

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but that is ridiculous! Did the seniors do any type of fundraising during the year? I can't imagine that each family can afford $250, and that is quite a dent when alot of folks are working on getting these seniors in college for the fall. Let alone money spent on pictures, yearbooks and all the other SENIOR expenses.

Did ya'll know ahead of time that you would have this expense???

I'm shocked for you! :new_shocked:

I graduated 9 years ago and we paid $45 dollars to rent the gown and we kept the cap and tassel. We had so much fun on graduation day.. I hope that he has fun also. Sorry about the insane price to buy, that just doesn't sound right.

Well this is a bit crazy and I'm looking here at the invoice and there is a mug included with 2006 in the price and also some kind of shirt involved but I'm going to look into this further because this just can't be right what I am reading here. I'll call the school in the am and just hope they answer the phone........ They know my ring already by now :eek:

Wowser Marty, that sounds crazy to me!!! I was homeschooled so I don't know about graduation fees since my brother and I didn't really do anything exciting for graduation. If anyone can get that mess fixed it's you though :aktion033: . Best of luck because that's just crazy.

Holy smokes! That's steep! My niece paid $45 for her cap, gown, honor cords, tassle and little tassle charm thing 2 years ago. There were accessories which were additional, but optional. The gowns have gotten really cheesy--they are nearly made of paper now and barely hold up through the ceremony and pictures.

I remember mine was around $150, but that was a package for the entire outfit, announcements/envelopes/inserts, a fancy diploma display thing and some other senior momento stuff which is packed away in a box somewhere. That was 20 years ago, and the gowns were much better quality back then.

Does he know any older grads that kept their stuff from previous years that he could borrow?

Yes we already did that packet with the pictures and momentos,. and that was around $130. This is a whole nuther one and I knew it was coming up but not like this. Atleast he's getting a diploma (we think we hope) But I still have to call to see whats up with all this now.

For goodness sakes these people need to get a grip- this is HIGH SCHOOL, not Uni!!!

I cannot see the point of graduation, personally, let alone caps and gowns, not for High School.

I suppose it makes the kids feel special, and it may be a sort of "coming of age" thing, too, but sheesh, not at $250.00, that's daft.
default_wacko.png
:

Latest posts

Back