Silly Chicken Stories?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
I never thought I'd enjoy having chickens as much as I do! They are such clowns.....

It all started with the daughter joining a 4-H Rabbit and Poultry Club years ago. She graduated high school and out of 4-H. (Yes, we still have 4 rabbits.) But instead of reducing the chicken population we now have over 30!!! (Plus 3 ducks - which are ANOTHER story!)

I've decided there's something about Rhode Island Reds.......We have two coops with large pens that are netted over to keep flying predators out. But it's the Rhodies that manage to escape DAILY and wander our immediate property. Both our cats and dogs are used to them now. I don't name most of the hens, but these two I call "Miss Ruby" and "Miss Scarlett".

My husband doesn't appreciate the chickens much (except the eggs), but I often get told in the mornings, "Ummm....Dear? You have a chicken on the porch."........or...."By the way, one of your red ones is in the barn stealing feed from ----" Miss Ruby likes to hang out with one particular mare no matter where she is - either in the barn or out in the paddock. I really do think they have a friendship going.

Fortunately when evening feeding comes around, they each are waiting at their coop. I open the gate and they go in on their own. They are also really good about allowing me to pick them up. I just calmly approach them, hold out my hand over them, and they "coosh" like a llama! (Crouch down)

Anyone else have fun chickens?

I have no chickens, as they would just be a coyote dinner bell, but my MIL has chickens and she loves them, especially her Easter Eggers.

I've visited her and checked on the chickens and they are amusing, silly little creatures.

We have eight hens (four Cookoo Marans and four Delaware) and got a frizzle rooster banty back from neighbor. The rooster was beat up by their hens and other rooster. He had no feathers on his neck and butt. Feathers coming back, but the hens hate him. He is pens next to them. Every time he gets fed or finds a tasty morsel, he just starts talking to the hens. The hens want to come to him but attack him when they get near. Doesn't stop him from calling.

We also have a hen that is broody and sets on the eggs. Only problem is they are not fertilized.

Chickens are so entertaining. I think mine do like the horses, too. My dog gets jealous when they get scraps; dog and chickens vie for whichever gets the crumbs first when they fall. The chickens are usually quicker.

I hear it too: "chickens on the porch". They know the word "shooo!" pretty well now and whatever they are doing and hear me shooo they skedaddle.

I have one that talks constantly. It sort of drives me crazy but she is so content it usually makes me smile.

I have one hen that crows.

I love my birds! The bantams are by far the funniest. They run around the pen as if playing tag you're it with one another. The ducks and geese pick on my dog and steal food from his dish...he is terrified of them. The peafowl are the best, one if my hens loves my Beagle, she pecks at him to play, jumps around with him even picks up pieces of straw bedding to tease him with. She just hatched 3 pea chicks and a bantam (still don't know how that egg got there) now this lil bantam cochin thinks he is a peacock, even tries to wiggle his tail feathers like the big boys, real cute.

I went into the pen to put the girls up last night and there was a roadrunner in the pen. I've found rabbits, doves, cardinals, mockingbirds--first roadrunner. I started to herd him out of the pen and two hens jumped on him and proceeded to beat him to a pulp. They nearly killed him before I could get them off of him; I was standing just a few feet away. I finally got him out of the pen. I doubt he will visit there again in a hurry. They have never attacked any other critter in the pen. What was there about the road runner that set them off?

Now that is funny, Marsha....and weird. Poor bird! We have tons of tweety birds who raid the chicken pens without any issue.

Just the other night I was working at the computer. My desk is right next to a window looking out on our front porch, and something made me look up. I nearly jumped out of my ski, as there was our Gold Laced Wyandotte not more than a foot from my face. Hello to you, too!

When our ancient, blind toy poodle, Shadow, was still alive, the chickens would follow him around waiting for him to poop. I swear it never even would hit the ground. He was their personal pez dispenser.

Our two Buff Orpingtons really had a thing for Keith. He could run around the yard and they would follow him everywhere. When he came inside, they would sit by the glass front door looking for him, and they would wait for him to come home from work. Who would have thought that I'd find it funny that two blond chicks were chasing after my husband?

omg susanne I just snorted my morning lemon water.. pez dispenser
default_risa_suelos.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We hatched 5 new chicks at end of August to supplement my 2 little old hens. I've had to actually buy eggs for the first time in 10 years!

Two surprises in the mix. (I got the eggs from my friend, not knowing what kinds of chickens she had.) Too Bad they are both roosters :-( Pretty little things, but we don't need a rooster! They are already crowing!

larrynmoe.jpg

Two out of five isn't bad. You could have had five out of five! Looks as though you have some colorful birds. I got three mysterious eggs once and the birds turned out to be beautiful.

It's the pits having to buy eggs. I'm hoarding mine, now that the days are shortened, instead of sharing the excess.

Latest posts

Back