Buying a small farm tractor

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horseheart

Reaction score
We're moving to 20 acres by the end of the month. I'll be tractor shopping next week looking at John Deers. The acreage is flat. 17 pasture acres behind the house and 3 in front. Only a few trees.

I want a manure spreader to use muck from back to spread in front. I'm as green as you can get so any advise appreciated.

We have 3 minis now and plan on getting 1 or 2 beef cows, 2 ponies and TN Walker.

I need the tractor to cut grass, dig holes, spread manure. I'll be doing some gardening but on a very small scale so a rototiller will probably be enough.

Thanks,

Robin

We have a 790 John Deere 4WD with frontend loader, rear scraper blade, bush- hog and a spreader/seeder + a tiny manure spreader (we have 6 minis) - and a chain drag --- It was pretty pricey new (bought it 2years ago) - but we love it. We priced similar size Kubota, New Holland, and a few others -- the Deere dealer was closest by - and the price was reasonable --- the "compact" tractors cost more than the ones slightly larger -- but we have only 5 acres.

Be sure and check to see if you get any discounts -- like if you are an USEF member or whatever -- that can make a difference.

Good luck and be sure and let us know what you get.

JJay

If you are planning to buy a Deere, definitely look into joining USEF, there is a significant discount offered for USEF members! Would be worth the membership price, I am sure of that!

I love the 2400 Kubota. I use that thing for cutting grass, picking up manure, digging holes and pushing on the trees as we cut them down (don't want them to land on the barn!!!) It is small enough to manuver and big enough to get the job done. The only thing I would do differently is I would get a pull behind mower deck rather than the belly deck. It is easier to attatch. I hate crawling under the equipment to attatch the coupler on the belly deck. We also use it to plow the snow.

If someone would have told me that I would have turned out to be this much of a farm girl when I was in high school, I would have laughed in their face!!!! Now, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:
My Tractor is a John Deere 4110, got it new with the Quarter Horse discount, I had 10 acres of which 7 was in blueberries when I gought it, now I have moved and have 21 acres a big hay field, and more horses, I kinda wish now I had got the one step up bigger one, but this one is almost paid for so I will keep it, Plus I am old so it's to late in life to get another one.

I have a brush hog for mowing and a bucket in front, I can get a backhoe attatchment for it too, make sure you check into that if it will accept a backhoe , just in case you ever need one.

I don't use it as much as I should but it's there if I need it.

Good Luck, just do your homewosrk and think of what you may need in the future as well.

Ford 861 65 hp.you will get more bang for your buck. The JD's are becomming very over priced. You are paying for the name!!! Check them out and good luck. My husband restors tracktors and resells them so if you want to PM me for additional info feel free.

First off, I think you need to have a clear idea of what you want to do with the tractor so you know how many horsepower it needs to be and what kind of 'features' it has to have such as external hydraulics, pto, or a three-point hitch. What size of a mower do you want to use? Will you want a front end loader, or front end attachments. Will you need to have external hydraulic controls, if so, how many? If you want a three-point hitch, will it need to be able to push down as well as lift up? If you want to carry round-bales, how much do they weigh, you will need enough power to pick them up. Is there any chance you will want to ever run a swather/cutter or baler, if so, you will need to know how many horse power that will take. What kind of tires do you want on it? There are you standard 'farm' tractor tires with deep v-shaped type of tread, turf type tires that remind me more of a car tire, and an inbetween type that is a less aggressive v-type of pattern. Do you want a diesel or a gasoline engine?

Once you know the horsepower needs, and which features you want, then you can compare prices. There aer some well known brands that have excellent reputations, and there are some lesser known brands that are also very good. Then there are some cheap imports that don't have a lot of quality. Having a good dealer to work with you through the years will also be a consideration.

My husband originally had an old 'gray' Ford tractor, even though it is one from the1950's, there are still a lot of them in use today. It did nearly everything we needed, but it couldn't pick up the big bales of hay. So, eventualy he decided to get a bigger tractor. We bought a 45 horsepower, front-wheel assist, diesel Kioti, which looks almost exactly like a Kubota. We also got the front end loader and a front round bale 'squeezer', and of course the three point hitch and PTO. Our three-point is only 'power' going 'up', and gravity going down, and there are occasions (like when trying to dig fence holes) that we wish it had power to push down. However, we love that tractor and have had it about five years now, and believe the Kioti is a very well built tractor. However, now he is kind of thinking that maybe he should have bought one with even a little more horsepower. Last year he bought some 'small' haying equipment, a 6' disc mower and a 'small' round bale baler. Although the 45 hp is working, it is struggling with making full, tight bales. So, now he wishes he had opted for slightly more horsepower. Going up in horsepower from the 45 to the 65 would actually have made very little difference in price. So, if in doubt, I would suggest you getting a larger horsepower than you expect to need. Of course, on the flip side, my husband would not consider getting rid of his original 'gray' Ford tractor, as there are some jobs that are so much handier to do with the smaller, more nimble littel two-wheel drive tractor.

Those old Ford tractors you cant beat. It sounds like your husband has a 9 or 2n. We have a couple jubilees and 8n's.

You really have to look at purpose. For us gasoline and 2 wheel drive works fine. We dont use round bales but when we did our Ford picked it up no problem. Of coarse we needed wheel wts.

Have fun shopping.

We have a Ford/ New Holand 5610 and a Ford/New Holland TC40. Both have loaders and are awsome. The TC40 is just the perfect size and we could not live with out it! We also have a 1949 Furgeson, 1949 Case vac and a 1949 Allis Chalmers wd, and all of them are useful in there own way! For simple things like pulling the spreader or working the garden the older ones do great! But again the TC40 has paid for it self 1 million times over because of it's usefulness!!! We put up our fence, dug holes, spread gravel, cut, bailed, hay, plowed the snow for us and the neighbors, and lots of endless other things with this tractor! The size of the tractor packs a big punch when it comes down to it. So for us this is a great all around tractor!

Good luck!!!

Leya

Hubby and I will always use the 49's and continue to collect them! They are wonderful older tractors that will always have a place here!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back