Bumpy Boy -

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity_Acres

Reaction score
Hi ya'll

Hey quick question, hopefully somebody out there has seen this and can help me. I was body clipping Merlin last night and on his belly were what felt like hundreds of little bumps on his belly and down his legs even down his cannon and pasterns. They remind me of chicken pox. They are really hard and feel like wart under his skin then they appear to break open and scab over. They appear to be very itchy to Merlin. Has anyone ran across this type of skin problem?? Any ideas???

Thanks ahead of time! I'll try to get some pictures IF I can.

Janine

Could it be aunt bites, or fly bites. Also not sure what it is but something called

Summer Sores. Maybe on here someone will know and tell us what that is. I

have heard of it from another breeder.

You might try some Benadryl (not sure of spelling). We have a stallion who is

having a harder time with the fly's this year, and is breaking out in welps. His

welps are not breaking opening, just knotts. I put him on Benadryl (sp) and

keeping fly sprayed. Which is helping him.

Maybe someone else will have a better ideal.

Best wishes

Vicky

I would agree that it might be a bite or a sting. Those tend to make the skin swell a good bit.

Sure hope he gets better soon.

I also agree bites. My Merlin gets those from mosquitos, but my other horses don't seem to get them. Perhaps an allergy to the bite. The ones I've seen on my horse did not break open and scab over though.

I also agree bites. My Merlin gets those from mosquitos, but my other horses don't seem to get them. Perhaps an allergy to the bite. The ones I've seen on my horse did not break open and scab over though.

I agree with the others, bites. My Merlin gets these from mosquitos, but the other horses don't get them. Perhaps an allergy to the actual bite. Or it could just be a plain old allergy. Merlin's never broke open and scabbed over though. Good luck.

It could also be a fungus ring worm, lice or even rain rot. Does he have it other places as well? Head, rump? Top of back, front of head? Does he itch?

Not sure what you would put on it, but someone will come and tell you what they use.

Beth

I don't know where you are located, but if it is spring and the black flies and midges are out, I would blame them. Black flies, especially, make bites that have little scabs on them. Some of my horses don't react but I do have some that I refer to as looking like dill pickles <G>.

I don't know where you are located, but if it is spring and the black flies and midges are out, I would blame them. Black flies, especially, make bites that have little scabs on them. Some of my horses don't react but I do have some that I refer to as looking like dill pickles <G>.

We're located in Ohio. It's spring here, and yesterday were the first flies I've seen. Today is cool again and no flies. He has these bumps on the insides of his legs, covering his belly, chest and shoulders. I don't think these are bites because it's been cold here. I just noticed them because I was clipping him. Yes, he definitely itches!!! I'll still try to get a picture. (I clipped my stallion today)

Another possibility is that he's allergic to something.

Are you using a spray or oil lube on your clipper blades? I've had horses react to it and break out in bumps.

Straight Benedryl will help, as well as giving him a cool water bath. If it is an allergic reaction, he should be better by tomorrow.

MA

I'd try antihistamine.......but, until that gets to working, Bactine will stop the itch and pain, doesn't sting. I just got some that now have a spray on it. Very convenient for applications like you describe. I keep it in my barn and house
default_yes.gif
: and use it on things like scratches, skins, bites - etc.

It is a temporary aid but can make him comfortable. Antiseptic, so kills germs too.

A friends horse gets those, he is allergic to fly bites.

Robin

You don't have to see many flies, nor think it is not warm enough. The area bitten is typical of one type of midge (tiny fly similar looking to no-see-ums...I just forget their name). There are two types, ones that like the belly and underside of the animal, and one that likes long hair areas like manes and tails. They only need it to be around 50'f for a little while in the day to come out of the ground for a meal and then back as it cools off in the evenings. You rarely see them but this sure sounds like what I have seen before. We even had a boarder biopsie the lumps one year as she didn't beleive there were any flies out yet.

The saliva of the insect continues to irritate the area of the bite, long after the fly is gone. If you can rinse off the affected area with a tea tree oil or oatmeal soap shampoo or even just some water, it will help him heal quicker....he doesn't need a whole bath, every day, just the affected areas. A hosing is best but you can even wash with a cloth and warm water (rinse the cloth often to not spread the salive) and that helps too. If it is warm enough to give him a bath, do so and then continue daily with just water until the flies are gone.

The little bugs will only be around for a few more weeks, so don't dispare and if he is really bad, an antihistamine, dosage proscribed by your vet, will help.

Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back