Bug spray for foals?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Royal Crescent

Reaction score
I have a foal that is about 5 weeks old. I am shaving him down so I can get some good pictures of him. He can be inside when need be, but I like him to have alot of time outside to run. How can I protect him from mosquitos and flys?
default_please.gif
Are there safe sprays for young foals?A any help would be much appriciated!
default_yes.gif

Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I know of. I don't even spray the mares right now. We just lost a newborn foal, my sister put SPOT ON on the mare right after she foaled. And the foal died about 24 hours later.

If you need photos, I would hold off on clipping him or keep him inside during buggy hours.

BUT if someone else has found something to work???? I AM ALL EARS!!!

In the meantime - I have been putting vaseline or A & D ointment on around their chest, genitals and ears, seems to work for most of the day for them to be out.

I love the natural fly spray by Eqyss Marigold Fly Spray, it smells good and does work! You will probably need to apply it every day. I haven't tried Flick's Natural Fly Spray because I found the Marigold first last year and it worked. I don't like to use the chemical sprays, especially around the foals.

I have not tried this yet on my horses, but it sure works for our dogs, and the human version works great on humans. It's called Bite Blocker (http://www.homs.com/index.html - click on the animal version to see what it contains) and it doesn't have any pesticides in it. Smells kind of like wintergreen, but not bad.

The mosquitoes and biting flies have been terrible here, so maybe I'll try this on the horses and report back.

Latest posts

Back