brood mares, and life after babys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

krissy3

To make the topic short and simple. I want to buy a brood mare because she is not in the best of hands, and is for sale. She is not horribly abused, but could sure benifit from a better life...has anyone been able to turn a neglected brood mare into a mare that could be shown? I dont need to win , just want to know if anyone has taken a mare and polished her up, taught her a few new tricks ,and has had any luck at the local shows. and more importantly... did the brood mare like going to shows, instead of baby making ? I am really in a delima, i want to breed my nice mare that I have , but then I think about the horses that have bad lives, and I think ...why not just buy one and give it a better life instead of bringing another foal into our overpopulated world of equine. (i gotta stop rescuing)... all I ever do is rescue.. what would you do? how much would you pay for a brood mare that someone wanted to get rid of because they want a new breed line and have limited space? If I could take her for 600 CHF i would take her today , not because she is nice , but because she is my mares mom...but these people are extreamly arogant and would want a few grand for her and she is not worth a penny over 600...would it be rude to offer 600 and say when you need the money or space badly enough call me . If you want to know who she is IM me... forgot to tell you she is 17 years old. so now knowing her age...she cant be shown, unless they give me a senior class in a schooling show... and is her breeding carrier over now at 17? I need any help I can get to not be raked over the coals by the breeders.

Last edited:
I'm not sure on the showing, but I think it would depend on the mares temperament, some would really take to it and enjoy it, others would not. A mare's breeding career is not over at 17! At least I hope not, I have a 17 year old I'm planning to breed in the spring!
default_laugh.png
I've heard there many mares who still have foals well into their twenties. I personally love an older, proven, experienced broodmare, so much easier foaling out, than the maidens who can drive you crazy! When looking for a broodmare, I want a mare 10 yrs or older, but that is my personal preference.

As far as offering a price, the worst you can do is ask, if they say no, than you got your answer. I'm not offended by low-ball offers on my horses, sometimes I sell on the offer, sometimes I tell them politely no and my minimum price.

Hope this helps & good luck!

If she is sound, absolutely. Depending on how many foals she has had and her individual body make-up, you may or may not be able to get the belly trimmed enough to show halter, but there is no reason she can't show performance, showmanship, etc. I had a mare who was 22 yrs old - spent most of her life having babies and was in terrible condition when we purchased her. Took almost a year to get her back in shape, but after that we successfully competed in performance and showmanship for several years before her much-deserved retirement.

And I've seen mares trim up after even 3 or 4 babies and come back to win in halter classes at top levels. i think the AMHR National Champion (maybe Grand Champion?) mare a few years ago was a broodmare that was brought back to show ring. Maybe someone can think of her name - I believe she was a silver-based Establo mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have taken mares that have had foals back into the ring and done well with them, I am about to do it again this summer!!

I would say something like "I know she is worth more but this is all I can afford and I will give her a really good home for life" try to avoid a situation where you have to hand back a foal, though, that never seems to end well!!

I DID!!!

I bought a 8 mare on her death bed yrs back that was most like going to pass away with-in a month if her life didnt turn around.

I was looking for a mare for my new stud and looked at 100's of them but none of them seem to be "the one". Then I saw a add in the local newspaper and went to the farm to see the 3 mares that where there. I was only looking to spend a few hundred $$$ at the time (new to minis then) and was looking at two grade mares that I could have for $500 for both. The third mare there was older and pushy and really poor health. She had lost most of her body hair and couldnt even tell what color she was. Her hoofs and teeth where super long and never foaled a live foal. She looked nasty and when she pooped, there was more bot eggs then poop. I asked about her to the seller and she replyed that she was double reg. and that she really didnt want to give her up. I ask "how much?", and she said $1500 cash FIRM! With her knowing that I didnt want to spend that much, I said thanks and left. That night I convinced my dad to lend me $1500 so I can get this mare, which he asked about and I lied to him and told him she was the most beautiful mare I ever seen and was well worth it.

So the next morning, I went back to the ladys house and asked if she would go any lower on her price and she replyed no! And she was'nt for sale anymore. I pulled out the $1500 cash and handed it to her and said I have your money, could I PLEASE buy your mare as she's the one I want out of all the mares I looked at. Suprised, she snatched the $$$ from me and invited me into her home and handed all the info and "outdated" reg. paperwork that was still in 2 owners name back. I didnt care!

I didnt own a trailer so after exchanging $ and paper work, I went a had my friends who only lived 5 miles away help me go and pick her up. When they arrived, They said I was insane to have just bought that nasty little mare and wow did I get sooo ripped off. Again I didnt care! I know when I 1st laid my eyes on her, even tho she had no hair, covered in burrs and mud, and knowing all the horriable things I knew about her, she was "the one". After almost loosing her from the bots in her system and her going down for 2 weeks and vets/everyone telling me I wasted my $$$ and she was going to not make it, she pulled through!

Now to date at 12 almost 13 yrs old, after paying out my butt in late fees and tranfers in her paperwork to get it all in order, and watched her go from a ugly nasty little horse that most folks would'nt give a 2nd look at... become one of the most beautiful horses that I or anyone has seen around and is by far the 1st one anyone picks out to be their favorite at the farm here. She has now had 2 handsome, healthy colts for me and is pregnant again for 2010 to my King Supreme son. She also has been in and out of the showring since I got her, and has mostly taken nothing less then 3rd places with lots of 1sts.

So with that said.... YES you most certianly can! I proved it can be done!

My mare: Pictured in my avatar

Miniature Dreamlands Misty J

29" silver dapple

AMHA/AMHR

Last edited by a moderator:
Back