broken bones and showing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckmini

Reaction score
does anyone have experience with broken bones and showing? How long til you could drive?

I broke my collar bone today (I fell off my road bike going aroung 28 mph) BUT I have a show in 3 weeks, I don't think i'll be able to drive my roadster gelding, but possibly the other 2.

Im no help but just wanted to send some thoughts for a speedy recovery!

Kay

I dont know about driving minis, but I broke my top 2 ribs and my shoulder, and also seperated my shoulder, and was back barrel racing in 3 weeks. I will say, I was sore the next day, however it was a qualifying show that I couldnt miss.

I would talk to your doctor, and see what he/she thinks in about 2 weeks as far as how you are progressing.

My first thought would be that you most likely would need someone to clip for you, but i think you would be fine to halter them...driving im not sure?

oh man clipping!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
gah I never thought about that!

Chelsie- I am so sorry to hear you broke your collar bone! See what happens when they let you go on your own. Kidding aside. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Thought I would tell you that Michele Prekker's son Montana broke his collar bone last week too. Weird that two of you would do the same in such a short amount of time.

I would think driving would be hard on it, but I guess it would depend on how much pain you are in and how it is healing. I have heard of it having to be re-broke because it wasn't healing right. Don't think you want that either.

Are you talking about driving Liberachi in roadster? I guess maybe I would just have to step in and do it for you. Ha Ha. I know your mom would have you covered.

Take care, and get better soon.

i'm going into my 4th week with a broken right arm and no way can i drive!

Oh me.
default_saludando.gif
default_biggrin.png

Best advise? Get a spare pair of hands and know when to call it quits. Do a "dry run" at home to make SURE you can do what you HAVE to do, and to know how much you can actually do. Know how much you can do and don't try to do more. Allow extra time for things like getting in the cart and harnessing. If all else fails, there's always another show.

Of course I rarely actually take my own advice. ;) I came home from the Daffodil Dandy barely able to walk for a week and didn't regret a thing! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't want to mess with a broken collar bone, 3 weeks the bones are just starting to knit back together nicely and you might jar them apart or do nerve damage ta boot.

If this is a show you need for qualifying, best advice, find a catch handler for you to drive the horse for you. Otherwise, I suggest asking the show for funds back and try for a later show, like after 6 weeks.

Years ago, I was into hunter jumpers. (I lived back in Connecticut at the time). I was looking forward to going on a real Fox hunt in two weeks. Back there we had incredible miles of trails. 500 miles of uninterupted trail system. With fields, woods, stonewall jumps, etc. LOVELY!!

I fell, two weeks before the hunt, onto a wheelbarrel arm. The wheelbarrel was full of manure and it did not give, but 3 of my ribs did. Needless to say it was weeks before I could ride again (though I tried 2 weeks later). Never did get to go on that fox hunt, not any other.

I have broken my collarbone now three times. Same one.
default_no.gif
Last time was off of a big horse, last summer. Also broke my neck along with numerous other things. Hence the reason I have decided to come back to the wonderful world of the miniature horse after a 12 year hiatus
default_wink.png

Anyway, collar bones heal fairly quickly. If you keep your sling on, but let it out to "breathe" from time to time, it will heal well. Mine didn't heal properly this last time, but it was because I had a neck brace that sat against it for three months. Anyway, I would say that clipping is definately something you will need help for. Halter you should be able to do, but not driving. As your bone heals, anything that you have to reach forward or pull to you for will put too much pressure on it. You need to refrain from doing any forward, pulling motions for at least 6 weeks. Trust me.

So.....don't let it totally get you down, its one of those bones that heals well, but let it heal well too.

Latest posts

Back