Briarwood Minis newest addition......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I have been on the forum. Things have been crazy. In the time away I have a beautiful new addition to the family. A white pinto black masked female Akita. She is extremely smart and is always trying to think ahead of you! If anyone is familiar with the breed and would like to share info I would appreciate it. I have done reaserch and she fits the "profile"

I will post pics as soon as I get some!

Alison and Khia!

Ah, I can't wait to see pictures. Some of my friends have an Akita, and he is a big sweetheart.

Here is what I know (which isn't alot) they are an asian spitz breed......since I am a chow fanatic I have studied up a bit on some of the similar breeds.......akita's tend to be more one person/family oriented (like chows) they are fairly quiet and tidy indoors (as far as manners go) the similarities seem to kinda end there
rolleyes.gif
akita's are high energy and very active they also do take to obedience better (did not say welll) than chows but still are a hard headed breed......their coats are similar to the smooth chow being double coated actually other than the twice yearly coat blow these coats are a wash and wear kinda do
wink.gif
a quick but thorough slicker brush down is about all that is needed maybe every couple weeks....the few I have known in person also fit the breed description to a tee...and they are far more protective than a chow.....an akita will defend their home they were bred to guard....most quality chows will bark and a few may guard but most prefer to avoid confrontation if at all possible.......

ok where are the pics? I wanna see this new beauty
wink.gif

Argh!!!! I wanted to see pictures when I clicked this. Instant gratification!!!

When I first met Harvey (like 20 years ago!), his family had a huge Akita. He was very, very smart. He and I have actually had "debates" as to which dog was smarter, his "Bear" or my family's "Oliver" (an old english sheepdog). Now I say our blue merle Collie puppy, Kelsey, is the smartest so the debate continues.

Congrats on her and do not forget to show us pictures! She is going to be very good protection as well as a good companion. If there's one thing I love more than horses, it is dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 2 females. One I lost at 7yrs old to cancer. The other was with me till she was 11. If you have any specific questions feel free to email me.

Robin

Enjoy her, but BE CAREFUL! My best friend used to breed and show Akitas...I have shown and traveled with them and am very familiar with them.

Akitas were bred to be GUARD DOGS. They do not particularly like other dogs. They can be unpredictable around people. One time a trusted show dog decided she would eat my face, my friend and I recognized the change in his eye in the nick of time and I jumped back as she jerked his lead back. I would not trust one with children. Especially other people's children. The liability just isn't worth it.

All that said, they are a beautiful breed, and can be a nice companion, just PLEASE BE CAREFUL.

Shelley

Latest posts

Back