breeding to rhoten's little dandy son what type of mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racingfan72104

Reaction score
what type of mares would you breed to a son of Rhoten's Little Dandy. would like to find some mares that have extreme movement

I guess it depends on the son, but the dandy line (in my experience) is known for plain heads and larger ears. So I would say a mare with a nice long shoulder (to allow for nice movement) with a smaller and more dishy head and tiny ears.

Now, I have very limited experience, so this is just my opinion---

If I had a Dandy son, I think he would cross well with any of our four breeding mares. All our mares were chosen for good movement, along with pretty heads and nice conformation. Lots of Blue Boy, some Buckeroo, with Rowdy sprinkled in. One is a Jefferson Halls Gambler daughter who has had 3 foals sired by a Dandy grandson. We don't own any of the foals, but you can see some of them on our website (link below) under "foals". You can check out one of our mare's movement (a Blue Boy bred one) on the Photo/video Gallery Forum under "My first (short) video - inspired by Marty". Just posted it today.

So I guess my short answer would be Blue Boy, and Buckeroo bred mares, but look at other breeding if the characteristics you want are there. Do you have a photo you could post of the Dandy son?

I guess it depends on the son, but the dandy line (in my experience) is known for plain heads and larger ears. So I would say a mare with a nice long shoulder (to allow for nice movement) with a smaller and more dishy head and tiny ears.
In general I agree.......So much depends on the conformation of the individuals.

I second finding pretty headed mares. I was lucky in that I had one of the prettier headed Rhoten Dandy Grandsons but I knew that big head could come back as it was pretty stamped in the Rhoten Dandy line. Here is a colt I got out of Tamale (Encore Son) bred to a pretty headed mare

Baxters Hot N Dandy pictured 1 day old and not quite unfolded

dandy4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I second finding pretty headed mares. I was lucky in that I had one of the prettier headed Rhoten Dandy Grandsons but I knew that big head could come back as it was pretty stamped in the Rhoten Dandy line. Here is a colt I got out of Tamale (Encore Son) bred to a pretty headed mare

Baxters Hot N Dandy pictured 1 day old and not quite unfolded

dandy4.jpg

I love Boone's Little Andy heads and ears. They are exquisitie IMO.

Sue

Latest posts

Back