Breeding Stallion/Mare Age...For ASPC/AMHR Registry

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen S

Reaction score
Hello to All,

A while back (in May of this year) we had a pretty good discussion regarding this very same matter on the AMHR Mini Board. This is what I posted back in May regarding the rule and the revisions. This will be long but worth reading and digesting.

May 9th, 2006....

Please refer to your April 2006 Journal on page 203....

Motion by Bob Brown to clarify for breeding purposes the change from Temporary to Permanent (change on page 299-300, 3:A:4 current rulebook), "do not have expired papers." Second by Dolores Williams, For: (Gutman, Eperthener, Taylor, Slocumb, Becker, Williams, Brown, Kovarik, Niegel and Villalpando) and two against (Stephenson and Carlson).

Motion made by Bill Eperthener that "Stallions" must be two years old to be used for breeding purposes. "Second by Bud Stephenson. Motion PASSED unanimously.

Motion by Deane Gutman to make the previous two motions to be extraordinary and shall be printed in the Journal. Second by Bill Eperthener. Motion PASSED unanimously.

April 2006 Journal...page 238 Supplement to the Rulebook updates and corrections....

Section X-Part 3, page 235

A-4 DELETE--have been updated from temporary to permanent status

A-4 INSERT--"do not have expired registration papers"

B. DELETE--No miniature foal may be registered out of a mare unless the dam has reached her third birthday (birthday as of January 1)

B. INSERT--"No miniature foal may be registered out of a sire or dam unless BOTH have reached their third birthday (birthday as of January 1) during the foaling year"

These are the current up-to-date rules from the 2005 ASPC/AMHR Rulebook and the new Supplement...

Discussion regarding the above:

Last year there was a lot of discussion regarding whether or not a mare and stallion MUST be (3) three year old (actual birthday on their registration papers). Bob Brown, Area V Director, told us then that there were some revisions coming to those rules (those printed above). What we all wanted to know was that the stallion and mare HAD to be (3) three before a foal could be registered (their actual (3) third birthday, birthday listed on their registration papers). No foal could be registered from a mare that was (2) two years old. The other question that came up was about the temporary papers to permanent papers as to whether you could register that foal.

The way I understand this new revision, is that your mare is bred as a (2) two year old (she was born in 2003, lets say March 1st), she is considered (1) one year old on January 1st, 2004, she is considered (2) two years old on January 1st, 2005, she is bred March 2005 (as a (2) two year old), she foals out in February 2006 (now how old is she?). According to this new revision she is (3) three years old as of January 1st of 2006. The same thing would apply to that stallion. The only rule that apply to any of us is in regards to bringing those miniatures permanent from temporary and then they must have turned (3) three on their actual birthday (born March 1st, 2003 actually turned (3) three March 1st, 2006). So, in my interpertation of this new revision that (2) two year old mare and (2) two year old stallion's papers are temporary (before January 1st, 2006) they turn (3) three on January 1st, 2006 (still under temporary papers, those papers are not expired) now that foal still can be registered in February 2006. Then that mare can be brought permanent on March 1st, 2006 as her papers weren't expired (they were still temporary). Your stallion may not turn (3) three years old until May 2006 (his actual (3) third birthday) but that still doesn't mean his papers were expired at the time the foal was born in February 2006. Then the stallion would be brought permanent in May 2006 on his actual (3) third birthday.

Hope this helps.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Burleson Texas

thanks so much karen. so great to have you here to help us
default_smile.png

It's morning & I haven't finished my coffee yet............... Sooooooo- We are currently breeding our mare to a friends two year old stallion. If our mare gets pregnant she will foal July 07. Let's say the stallion turns three October 07 ( I have to check with owner as I don't know the month ). What month can I register my foal?

Good Morning Cathy,

Please have a cup for me too as I haven't had mine....

Your mare was how old January 1st of this year? The stallion is a two year old as of January 1st of 2006 even though he would officially be a two year old in October of 2006. January 1st 2007 the mare and stallion will be one year older, that stallion under the new revised rule would be under temporary papers as a three (3) year old. That foal born in July 2007 can be registered in July 2007. Remember, they took out expired registration papers. The mare could be over (3) three years old and already permanent on her registration papers. That stallion is still under Temporary registration papers (won't be (3) until his actual birthday in October 2007) then he would be brought permanent.

What you have to remember is that now both the mare and stallion MUST be (3) three years old as of January 1st of the FOALING year (in your case would be July 2007).

Karen

Karen, Forgive me for assuming that you knew my mare is 15 years old.
default_wacko.png
: Also both are AMHA /AMHR registered. I didn't see the other thread discussing this until after I posted my ?..
default_wacko.png
: Thanks

Just a lurker here but very good information. Thanks for the explanation as it was helpful.

Thanks.

Kricket

Latest posts

Back