Breeding in the Fall

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseMom

Reaction score
I recently got an e-mail from a lady who would like to breed to my stallion within the next few weeks. I'm very new to breeding and have relied on the owners of the farm that I board at for help. They are currently away at Quarter Horse Congress for the next week. Most farms seem to cut off breeding by July. Is it possible to breed in the fall? Or is it pretty much pointless. I want to give this lady as much information as possible before we consent to anything. I have told her that her mare needs to be current on all vaccinations and have a clean culture before anything can happen. Any information or adivce would be most appreciated. Thanks.

For a lot of people breeding in the fall is when they prefer it.

If they are Quarter horse people they understand that the foal will be late and not necessarily make a show prospect until is a couple years old due to being later in the year.

I breed for early foals. Others late and some Winter babies because then the mares are able to be ready ect for the next show season.

With my regular horses, I wanted my foals born early in the year, so when the futurities came along, they would be as mature for their age as possible...you wanted BIG babies.

But...thinking about it, where the miniature horse is "going for" the smallest...perhaps to breed later would be best were one interested in the weanling futurities? Then again, you could very well get "stuck" with a very gawky, immature looking yearling, which is a tough time to make them look their best to bgin with.

I would not breed this late myself, but if she has the facilities for a foal to be born this time of year...it is her decision. I would ask the age of her mare though...could be she is trying to find a way to sqeak-in a breeding to a two year old mare...which is something I have refused to do in the past...and would again.

IMO a great time of year for foaling I prefer it much more then late spring

Our approach has always been after the first few years is to breed for early babies. Jan - April. The problem with late babies is that even if they are reallly good quality, they are just not as mature as the early babies and therefore compete at a disadvantage.
default_sad.png

Another thing to consider especially if you are selling a stud fee is that mares are not as fertile this time of year. Some are already "shutting down" for winter. Others cycle all winter. Mares are much more fertile in the spring when length of daylight hours go up. So if you sell a late breeding the mare may not settle. When I sell breedings I prefer the mares to come in march or april.

I agree that where you live influences this also.

I START most of my breeding in July.

We have basically three seasons .......a LONG cold winter, a short beautiful summer and usually a nice Fall. But Spring is almost non existent here.... as it continues to snow off and on til June every year!

So I like my babies to come best in June and July and even August.

Also most of my mares have a gestation of 10 months or 10 and a half which puts breeding later also better for me.

Susan O.

The one thing that is common in all horse breeds....January 1st is considered the birthdate for all horses, so if you have a foal born in November or December, they are physically a weanling but considered a yearling on January 1st. Not good when you are trying to show against those that are true to age.

Karen

I much prefer my foals to come from April to June. That way they can be weaned in the fall before winter sets in. It gets pretty cold up here and lots of snow. I would not like the idea of weanlng in the middle of winter

kenben

Thanks everyone. This lady doesn't plan on showing right away. She wants to enjoy having a mini baby with the option to show at some local shows and maybe some rated once the foal is a little older. So the age of the foal come January first isn't a problem. I just didn't know how well a mare could catch this late in the year.

Latest posts

Back