Breeding in a bad economy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's important to note that numbers don't dictate quality or care. By that I mean, there are farms out there that breed 60 "pet" quality babies a year, all are well cared for, and they have no problem selling all for $500 or less to quality homes. And there are back yards out there raising just 1 or 2 quality foals a year with poor care, sell for big money to even poorer homes.

The importance is responsible breeding, responsible care, and responsible selling. Weather that means 1 foal a year for you for $1 or 100 foals a year for ten thousand each, it doesn't really matter, it comes down to what you make of your situation.

If your breeding a foal a year with the intention to sell and you can never find a buyer, then the responsible thing to do is stop breeding the 1 foal a year.

If you are breeding 50 foals a year with the intention to sell, taking good care of them, and finding good homes for each and everyone, well than go ahead and breed another 50, if that is what you want.

I am doing a little bit of all three, I have 2 mares bred - one of which is sale pending now - yeah - finally found her the perfect home!! She's not right for my current goals but I did turn down an offer from a 'party pony' place - I just couldn't do that after talking with them the red flags of they may not be a great party pony place... anyhow

One mare hand bred but not confirmed and if shes not I am ok with that

2 colts for sale, one that might stick around - if need be.

And I am looking for that dream horse - I've found several I kinda like but am waiting for the 'one' figuring I can have a better quality horse that I might not otherwise afford in a better economy.

You know since this thread started, I began to ask around to some of the other farms in our area to see how things are going with them.
default_unsure.png

I was surprised to find out that everyone I have talked to has sold multiple horses since the World show is over. That bodes well for all of us, the horses that have been sold were mainly in the middle to upper price ranges of horses being offered also.
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

It sure sound like folks are doing great and the industry is showing signs of coming around. at least in our area anyway.

Latest posts

Back