Breed Statistics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
Here is a Breed Statistic chart with information I copied from the January 2007 Equus magazine. I sent this to the AMHA Executive Committee and I thought others might like to see it as well. I find it very interesting that the majority of major breeds are having a slump in new registrations and transfers. From what I know about the AMHA figures, we are better off than many of these other registries. So for those that think AMHA is going under, I say we are just getting started!

Chart.jpg

Interesting Becky. Thanks for posting.

I think I would be concerned if I was breeding Quarterhorses - lots of new registrations, but not lots of ownership transfers!!! Although if it's like with the minis I still own lots of horses I sold years ago!

I think I would be concerned if I was breeding Quarterhorses - lots of new registrations, but not lots of ownership transfers!!! Although if it's like with the minis I still own lots of horses I sold years ago!
I think it is, as I sold an AQHA mare 3 years ago, and the new owner could of cared less about the papers. His daughter just loves her and that's all that matters.
default_smile.png

I'm sorry I think this is irrelevant.

I see your point but I do not think it is relevant to the potential mess that we are in.

Although I would keep a weather eye on the business of other breeds I am no longer breeding Arabs so the state of their registrations does not affect me.

I am breeding miniatures and the state of their registrations affects me.

I'm sorry I think this is irrelevant.
Oh, I beg to differ! I think it's very relevant. If most of the major breeds are in a slump, what better time to advertise and promote miniature horses to show the joy and benefits from owning them!
default_smile.png

I see your point but I do not think it is relevant to the potential mess that we are in.
I'm starting to wonder.....what mess are we in? I'm hearing that sentiment on here a lot, but I just got the treasurers report from AMHA a couple of days ago. There aren't any major debts. AMHA will show a profit this year. Projection for '07 shows a need for adjustment in order to show a profit. That's business.

The market for sales of miniatures is actually better than for large horse breeds IMO. Miniatures HAVE finally reached the point of being a 'horse breed' instead of an exotic breed as far as market is concerned. (by that I mean just being little doesn't make a miniature valuable)

What is the state of AMHR? Will someone please come on and tell me? From what I read in the Journal it all looks pretty positive to me. Is that right?

If there's a problem with 'my' breed will someone please elaborate?

thank you

Charlotte

Becky,

Thanks for posting the info!!

Certainly things could be going better for the miniature world right now but we are in a far better postion than most other breeds. With the economy having an impact especially on the larger breeds feeding minis is an option for some when hay cost $10.00 a bale and a 50 lb bag of feed is $14.00. Something to watch is going to be quarter horses. With all those registrations and a big drop in transfers there is a big backlog of horses not getting sold. We watched a quater horse video sale from CO. this fall. Many bred mares were selling $3-600. I would call those prices cheap and not a good sign for the quarter horse people.

Now for all those that still want to raise a few horses minis can be a great option. I did see an article on the large group of horse owners that are reaching a point where thier age is a factor and slowing down is becoming a necessity. What better group could minis be marketed to? They are horse lovers, they have years of experiance, and they would only have to learn to bend down a little to give their horse a kiss at the end of the day.

I think this is very relevant info! I don't know about y'all, but I'm always hearing, The Appys this and the Arabs that, in comparison to our Mini's associations. Good job Becky!

I'm like Charlotte. I keep reading posts about how bad off AMHA is, but I don't see it in the numbers/reports. I've heard EVERY year since I became a member (14 years) that THIS year AMHA is going under! Really? It's still here and so am I with my horses!

Now for all those that still want to raise a few horses minis can be a great option. I did see an article on the large group of horse owners that are reaching a point where thier age is a factor and slowing down is becoming a necessity. What better group could minis be marketed to? They are horse lovers, they have years of experiance, and they would only have to learn to bend down a little to give their horse a kiss at the end of the day.
YOU GO GIRL! :aktion033: (us Over The Hill Gang members appreciate your thoughts!)

Charlotte

this info is relevant! i know 2 yrs ago in some horse magazine it was published that miniatures were the only horse "breed" that was still growing in numbers

lets face it the economy is poor and that has really affected big horse ownership. they are a luxury to most not a neccesity.

so we are lucky that even though our market is down a bit its not nearly down like the big breeds

in answer to charlotte. yes amha paid off their building but they have no cash reserve.(that is what i have been told) that alone is just not good for any business. i have been told the amha financial status is not dire but not great either. I do think the present bod is trying like crazy to fix what the preceeding bod did. Since the amha numbers are stagnant right now they have to figure out a way to increase it or they cant build a cash reserve. I liken it to a family living paycheck to paycheck with no savings.

i dont know the exact numbers for amhr and hopefully someone will post them. but i do know amhr/aspc has been sitting on a huge cash reserve for years. a lot of people felt that it should be spent on building their own offices or show facility instead of sitting in a bank but thats another topic LOL.

I have to say most of the time people who do buy now a days dont transfer ownersip. I know that the horse i got and just was a hackney pony gelding but i wasnt going to go through heck and back trying to get those transfered over since they were very old anyways. he was 19 and a gelding and the papers said he was stallion still...LOL. so yeah he was just my pet but a friend of mine has him now since her son fell in love with him...but yes back to the point...I agree that the mini horse sales in our area have picked up alot and yes no offense to the older members of our society that yes they are so easy to care for. and i have to agree when ya get older sometimes you have to slow down...so yeah i agree now is the time to start advertising..=)

Stats for the AMHR and ASPC are handed out every year at Convention. Here are the ones I have - not a full 10 years but it gives a general idea of growth.
default_yes.gif
:

AMHR

New Reg 2005: 15063 (there was a jump of nearly 1300 in the 3 yr. old mare new registrations and over 400 in 3 year old stallions because of the influx of AMHA horses before the price increased)

Temp to Perm 2005: 5409

Transfers for 2005: 11018

New Reg 2004: 11497

Temp to Perm 2004: 4931

Transfers for 2004: 9972

New Reg 2003: 9835

Temp to Perm 2003: 5069

Transfers for 2003: 9421

New Reg 2002: 10241

Temp to Perm 2002: 4908

Transfers for 2002: 9221

New Reg 2001: 9924

Temp to Perm 2001: 4755

Transfers for 2001: 9099

New Reg 2000: 9997

Temp to Perm 2000: 4779

Transfers for 2000: 8924

New Reg 1999: 12063

Temp to Perm 1999: 4370

Transfers for 1999: 8154

New Reg 1998: 9927

Temp to Perm 1998: 4362

Transfers for 1998: 7843

ASPC

New Reg 2005: 1263

Transfers for 2005: 1348

New Reg 2004: 1304

Transfers for 2004: 1237

New Reg 2003: 1180

Transfers for 2003: 1311

New Reg 2002: 1170

Transfers for 2002: 1256

New Reg 2001: 1156

Transfers for 2001: 1276

New Reg 2000: 1132

Transfers for 2000: 1158

New Reg 1999: 1006

Transfers for 1999: 954

New Reg 1998: 893

Transfers for 1998: 908

Very interesting and informative. Every registry has it's up's and down's, good years, bad years, problems and great points. Not a reason for panic and pandamonium. No need to form a seperate alliance and think that the club is in peril. A has been around for awhile and I think it will continue to be around for a while longer. It is good to know now and again where the numbers stand. I bet in the years between 96 and 06 they had good years where there were more and bad years where there were less in each and every registry. Thanks for the info!! :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back