Breeching measurements

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Can someone measure their breeching and let me know the measurements for over the rump, and around the rump. This would be for a 34" horse who normally wears an A size harness.

You have to measure your own horse. All horses are different, even if they are 34". Otherwise, it may not fit and you might not be happy.

Im not looking to know what size breeching my horse should wear, simply what the measurements normally are on a breeching of an A sized mini harness.

What length are they normally? TOO SHORT!!
default_wink.png

Sorry, I couldn't resist that!!
default_poke.gif
I can't help you, because I sold the breeching that came with my off the shelf harness & bought custom made ones of the right size.

The first harness I got that fit right otherwise (first one didn't fit any horse over 32" and second one I wasn't happy with the quality so never even tried it on) had a breeching that was too small. The harness was supposed to fit up to 38" and did (barely) but the breeching fit just right on Scooter, who at the time was a 2 year old about 32" tall & quite slight built. I had tried the breeching on him just to see if I had anything small enough for it to fit well on. Another harness I got had breeching the exact same size (different brand of harness)--I sold that entire harness & the breeching off the first harness & now have two custom harness and one off the shelf harness with a custom fit breeching. My smallest breeching is 31" from end to end, not counting the rings & that is what I use on my 33-34" horses--that is what Scooter wears now, and he's 33.5" and still quite refined, though he does have a very good hip on him. If I remember right, that's about 2" longer than the breeching that came with that first harness. I can't remember if that breeching was 28" or 29" but I think it was in that range.

as for the hip strap--I'll have to pull Scooter's harness out & measure it, I don't remember what that one is off hand. I had that custom made too and the standard one that came with the harness was a bit too short. I can check that later & post the length.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found one for sale at a great price that the seller didnt know if it was from an A or B sized harness. My horse is 34", sometimes even 35" depending, and a stockier build. The breeching is 34" and I think im going to purchase it, and if it doesent fit, just resell it. For the price I cant go wrong, and I think if its too big I can add some adjustments. I dont have one that fits well to measure, since I currently dont use one.

If he has a good solid rear end on him that just may fit. I think my bigger ones are 32 & 34" or 33" and 34" and I use them on my 34-38" horses. The 34" would be big on my Scooter but like I said he's not a big boy in any way.

You can measure your horse around the backside, from stifle to stifle and then add a couple inches and that should give you a good idea. Most harness makers tell you to measure from stifle to stifle, but I find that ends up being a little small. The small size breeching I had did appear to be the right size for several horses when I measured them that way, but in reality it was too small. It is quite easy to make the hip strap shorter if it's too long the way it is. The breeching itself is difficult to do anything with if it is too long, but if this one is a good deal then chances are if it doesn't work for you there will be no problem in reselling it.

I went ahead and got it. Its a nice quality leather with stainless hardware, and I paid $20 for it. If it doesent work I think I can resell it for what I paid for it. I wasnt able to find a new one for under $50, and I will only use it at home, so as long as its safe and decent quality, the cheaper the better.

Latest posts

Back