Bred on 5/5/2005

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novel_tfarm

Reaction score
We hand bred our Buckskin mare Bella on May 4th and 5th of 2005. She took and that was the only time she was bred. Been doing the mare stare and I'm exhausted. Last week on June 5th, I took her to Purdue University school of Vet Medicine and had all kinds of tests and exams done, thinking maybe there is a problem. We have a HUGE Bag, but no milk in them yet. She was examed rectally and has been confirmed in Foal and the foal is moving with a Proper Heart beat. But she is way PAST DUE. The vet called today to check on her and still nothing yet. He has suggested a C-Section if no foal by Tuesday June 13th. Anyone ever had this happen ??? Any suggestions, stories ??? ANYTHING ???

The mare may well have a twelve or even twelve + gestation.

If you allow a C- section you could have a premature foal.

I have not had a 12 month mare in Minis but we had an Arab who was- her foals were completely normal.

I know it is worrying but I would not have a C- section, not me.

Is there ANY chance that somethig else has got at her????

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend and I bred our mares at the same time to the same stallion, her mare foaled over a month ago. We do not own a stallion, nor is there one close to us. We had to go outside the farm for a breeding and then we keep our horses in the barn. We only had mares and geldings until about 6 weeks ago when we bought a stallion and lost him within 3 weeks. I have racked my brain to think if there is something going on. We re-checked her for a second heat and there was nothing going to happen there. So if she was bred May 5th, 2005, at May 5th 2006 she would be 365 days, This is June 9th so that puts her at 399 days ? Good grief, is this possible ? I mean the vet at Purdue said he had one go 411 days gestation and the foal was born with back defects from being in the womb for so long. But it is being corrected with surgery.

WOW! I can feel your frustration! I hope everything will be ok, I have never had one go that long, but PLEASE keep us updated! I will pray you get a healthy foal!

interesting, i would be equally concerned. keep us updated on what happens. maybe a really big boy, not quite developed? hmmm...

When we went to Purdue, the vet examined her rectally which scared me to death after hearing all the horror stories out there. But he took his time and we were in a controlled enviroment. He checked for a couple of things, one was for movement of the foal, and another was to see if she had a twisted uterus. The baby moved when touched and he could not feel anything as to why no baby. He said there have been instances where foals "quit" growing for up to 30 days. Therefore the mares body responds to that and the baby is born really late. But this is getting out of hand. If we don't have a baby tonight I'm to call them and haul her up there again. If I leave her there, it's quite expensive. I just want the mare to be ok.

Latest posts

Back