Braiding?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adell Equine

Reaction score
Do you ever braid minis manes/tails for shows? Or is it always down?

Is it a rule?

I really like the look of braids and I think some necks look better in braids.

Depends on which Registry I can only speak for AMHR, but just looking at my AMHA rule book, I don't see this addressed directly, someone else may know that rule book better.

For AMHR - Page 237

Ribbons, braids, all decorative apppurtenances and stallion tack in halter conformation classes are not allowed unless otherwise specified in AMHR official class description. Bits are allowed on stallions.

Halter Division page 243:

Horses shall show with full manes and tails (no roach). Thinning, Pulling, shortening, inc. of a mane and tail is permissable. The mane and tail length shall be left to the decision of the exhibitor.,

Park Harness Horses page 254:

The horse is to give a brilliant performance with style, presence, finish, balance and cadence. Park horse to be neatly trimmed, well groomed, braided (same as USA Equestrian braid) with one braid in the foretop and one immediately back of the bridle path.

Jumper and Hunter page 257:

Hunters and Jumpers may show with braided manes and tails in the manner of their larger counterparts.

AMHA Rule GR- 40 E. " No,ribbons, braids, glitter, stallion tack (excluding bits) or any decorative appurtenances, (exlucing tack) are allowed in halter conformation or performance classes. Only brading of forelock for driving is allowed.

Exception: Hunter & Jumper, Halter Obstacle, and Obstacle Driving where braiding of the manes and tails is permitted. Costume, Touch of Class, Antique Vehicle Class and Multiple Hitch classes are excluded from this rule."

Don't know bout AMHR.

You do a small braid with the forlock and first part of the mane for Park Harness and Roadster classes in the AMHR shows with the ribbon braided from your colors wrapped in with the hair. In our Park Harness driving class we used black, red and white florist ribbon, the satin ribbon doesn't stay as tight as the florist type ribbon and you knot both ends and leave enough ribbon to make a "V" on the top edge and bottom edge of your length which the one from the forlock gets tucked behind the headstall.

Hope that explains everything, there is a photo on our website from AMHR Nationals with Scott and Chaps with the viceroy receiving the platter that shows the ribbons better to give you an idea.

They use this same type braid for Modern Shetlands also in classes

For braiding the mane and tail for Hunter or Jumper: The forelock is done with a french braid and you stick it back under itself in the pocket you've created and tie with a braiding band. I braid the mane in the Friesian/ Andalusian dressage style which is doing a braid completely down the horse's crest. It should be easy to locate a picture of that. The tail is done in the regular Hunter style which is a French braid, but you only want to take small amounts of hair from the back side of the tail and pull it up and braid over the top of the rest of the tail. So the long strands are inbetween the braid and tail bone. Braid tightly and remember to use small amounts of hair about a 1/2 inch across. You go down about to the end of the tailbone for long tails, slightly shorter for shorter tails and finish what you are holding in your hand in a regular braid. Tie off the end in a band and take the end and thread it directly through the braid just a few inches under where you started regular braiding. So it should be a loop sticking out. That is how I've learned to braid and it looks quite stylish when done.

I will add... I believe AMHR Pleasure Driving you can braid the ribbons in to the mane and forelock, similar to Roadster and Park Harness.

Andrea

Disneyhorse that is correct page 250 under Pleasure number 8 - Braids, matching the stable colors, one in the foretop and one immediately back of the bridle paths as ween on the larger pleasure driving horse is optional.

Would love to see photos of how they are braided, if anyone has pics?
default_yes.gif

TIA,

Tanya

I'm pretty sure that in AMHR braids are NOT allowed in halter obstacle. I know that someone said they were in AMHA but I think the rule is different in AMHR. I don't have my rule book near me but I'm almost positive that they are not allowed in that class.

Hope this will help
default_yes.gif

Just seen the shetland braids in their forlocks in halter. That's it. My friends braid the tails before and then let them out just before the class. So they have a wavy tail. I don't braid mine. Like the straight look. But I don't think its allowed unless specified for a certain class.

Latest posts

Back