Boundary Waters Canoe Area

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alongman

Reaction score
This is the most amazing place I have visited in a long time. Federally protected and free from human influence...

This is the view from my campsite when I woke up. Sandy beaches to intense hiking trails.....

e7f775fd.jpg

e7f775f8.jpg

e7f775f6.jpg

e7f775f9.jpg

Here's what I found when I went wandering around my campsite - this is within 150 feet of our campground and I was within 25 feet of him.

e7f772bf.jpg

The BWCA offers such magnificent views......this picture was taken in the middle of an 80 foot deep lake with one rock protruding.
e7f77212.jpg

Yep, even I had to carry my own weight. We camped for several days and had to carry our food, canoe, tent, sleeping equipment, clothes, etc....
e7f771ed.jpg

Sad to think that the government sees this as a place to potentially increase revenue and citizens consistently battle to save this 1.1 million acre forest from destruction.

Adam, that place looks so peaceful. Love the beach area and sunsets. Amazing to just stumble upon Bullwinkle like that. Tell us the truth...werent you just alittle bit afraid he would chase you. As beautiful as he is I KNOW I would be hiding behind a big ol tree !!

Heidi

Beautiful photography. Pictures 1,2,3 and 4 are postcard pictures! I would love to have seen the moose.

WOW! Those first couple pictures were taken at the perfect time, beautiful! Looks like you had a ton of fun and check out that moose
default_smile.png
!

Just my amateur photography hard at work..... no editing as I haven't figured out that program yet
default_smile.png
It was a little intimidating being that close to a truely wild animal - he was a great deal taller than I was and significantly outweighed me (rough guess is about 2200 pounds). He was the most casual and gentle animal I had seen though - just stood and glanced at me, completely aware and unafraid. Do you just "know" when an animal is a good one? That's the feeling I got. Never scared, just in awe of our coexistence at that point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean you can actually lift that Adam?
default_rolleyes.gif
: Must be pretty light. :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are awesome pics Adam!!! glad you had a good time, even if you probably smelled worse than the moose by week's end....lol
default_wink.png
:

Isn't it awesome!!! I got to visit last year. It was snowing when I was there, so all I got were snow pictures.

My Father grew up there........did you go by the Outward Bound school just outside of Ely? My Father's parents used to own it, before it was a camp/school it was a retreat/lodge. They used to feed the bears every morning :bgrin

Ashley - the canoe weighed 54 pounds and my pack was about 50 pounds as well. Check out the guns....lol

We outfitted out of Sawbill Outfitters in Tofte, MN. I didn't get the opportunity to go to any other tourist places while I was there. I am a little disappointed I didn't get to see a bear....they had posted that there were bears spotted in the campsites and despite my best efforts couldn't find one.

hum.............visioning Adam seeing a bear.............visioning Adam running fast away from bear.................good think Adam didnt see a bear
default_smile.png

54 pounds? Thats it? Would think they would be heavier. 104 pounds......you should beable to lift that no problem...........heck I can lift that.

Yeah I don't know who would have been more surprised - me screaming like a little girl or the bear!

It's not that the canoes are that heavy, its just very clumsy and cumbersome. I guess we'll have flex and see who has bigger pipes Ashley.

Adam, just watched a pbs special that visited the same area. May have been at same lodge? Name sounds familiar. Sounds like a fun trip.

Mark

Nah, I wouldnt want to show you up Adam.
default_wink.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I know that there are several shows that have been taped at the outfitter we used - it's pretty easy to access and on a great part of the lakes.

I'm thinking that we should plan an excursion for next summer if anyone is interested.

Ashley, I'll carry your pack so you don't break a nail....lol.

Nails? what are they? I am the farthest thing from a girly girl if you havent noticed.

Just watch out for the video camera at shows next year.............
default_smile.png

I'll bring the camera so we have dual documentation....lol. Come on Ashley - I think you should do the hiking in heels.

Last time I wore heals was 10 years ago. I couldnt walk in them then and I hate to see now...........that would be a movie alright.

So it sounds like I'm counting you in....... any others? It would be worth it to see Ashley hiking......come on

Back