Bought a Colt recently

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starlasstable

Reaction score
Before I go and panic I hope to get some advice. I never had a problem before now. Recently I purchased a nice colt on payments, he is paid for now and due to be weaned next month. The breeder will not send me more pictures, he keeps making excuses, and told me that this time of year registration papers take longer due to all the babies being registered. I can't say for sure, but I get the feeling that since this baby is sold they give enough care to him and his dam to get along, but he is not giving the colt anything but minimal care, hay and nothing else. I have a contract that is very detailed and explicitly states AMHA papers are guaranteed by time of pick up among other terms. I just called AMHA about some other horses I had sold and while on the phone asked them to look up this breeder, the dam, and the colt to see if registration papers had been sent in yet for processing. They looked and looked and said no. Now what do I do? I don't want to antagonize the breeder/owner, but I paid a lot of money and plan on picking him up within 4 or 5 weeks. They live in another state than the one I live in. I know other large farms that have bought from this breeder with no problems.

Not sure about this yr but I always get my foals papers with-in 2 weeks of sending them out.

And this yr was a record with AMHR, i go my fillys reg in 6 days!!!

Call and ask AMHA if a stallion report has even been sent in. If that hasn't I would be worrying a little. However if you have it in writing that you are guaranteed AMHA papers in hand at time of pick up thats what I would expect otherwise I would get my money back, I would not even accept an application. If you still want the colt and still have no papers you may risk yourself at not getting papers on this colt.

Some breeders are slow at registering their foals, especially if they have alot to be registered. But considering he isn't even contacting you sends a red flag.

Has anyone had this happen? When does a stallion report have to tbe sent, when do breeders usually send them in, and if this breeder sent his in already, can the registries help?

It's always a good idea to check registration (including stallion report on unregistered horses or mares sold as bred) if you're dealing with someone you don't know.

As you have a contract, I would remind the seller of that and ask, if the paperwork is filed for the colt with the registry and if not when it will be completed. I would follow that up with a certified letter.

The registries can't help you by 'making' him file paperwork.

Hopefully the seller has just been busy or they are legitimately in the works.

Stallion reports are due January (I think its January) after the mare is bred, of course, if by some odd chance you would have a Jan. or Feb. breeding, of course you would want to send in the report much sooner since you would likely have a Nov/Dec foal.

If a report has not been sent in by this deadline, it can still be sent BUT there are extra fees that will be incurred for sending it in late.

While the registries will not give out detailed info, if you would call and tell them that you know they can't give out detailed info, you just want a yes or no on a specific mare listed on a specific stallion report,to make certain the resulting foal can indeed be registered, they will tell you. Having the Mare's and Stallion's registry numbers help out a great deal.

My motto has always been "try to give the benefit of the doubt that the information you are given is accurate, but always do your homework too".

Yes the breeding report was done for this foal. Thankfully. I always do give everyone the benefit of a doubt, too much many times. Thank you for all the advice.

In my experience, AMHA can take much longer that two weeks to get registration papers. Ours are always much longer as we do DNA parentage Qualification on all horses, which slows the process down a lot.

We sent in papers for AMHR this year and they were back in a week! Quite fast, but no additional DNA testing is needed and apparently they have less paperwork that AMHA does (or more office help).

One thought is that if the breeder has not sent in the registration papers yet and if the horse is paid in full, that the transfer papers be sent in at the same time so that you can get the papers once they are issued.

I just did AMHA papers on a colt and it didnt take them that long at all- it was about 2 weeks. Same with AMHR.

I would mention it to the breeder anyway and ask if maybe there was a problem getting those sent in. Are you going to pick up the colt and they are going to continue making excuses as to why they have no paperwork done on him? I wouldnt panic yet but would be a little suspicious.

I think asking for the transfer with the registration is an excellent idea. Since he is paid off it would seem the correct thing as the breeder is no longer the owner. I would check with the breeder and just let him know that if he hasn't sent in the paperwork then to just do both now.

Good idea and since he is paid for, they should be handing over his registration papers.

Latest posts

Back