Boarding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamtSilence

Reaction score
Does anyone here board their own mini (or offer boarding)? If so, then how much do you pay for what kind of board?

I'm debating whether relocating with my little mare will be possible without leasing or purchasing another horse friendly lot of my own. Boarding for the big guys is wiping me out already. :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've boarded mine some, usually in OR for training or breeding and it runs between $100 and $200.

Kari

Hello,

I have two minis, both are boarded. Its only 65 dollars each, full board. I am sooo lucky to have found this place and its all I could ask for!
default_wub.png

I have to board my guy, unfortunately, since we don't have the acreage and live in town.

It has it's good points and it's bad points. Good is that someone is there to feed, turnout, clean stalls, etc. and keep an eye on them for you. Bad is that it costs big money and you can't have everything your way, you have to make the drive out to see him, but the major bad is that I can't just look out my window at home and see him!

I buy my own feed and hay, have full board (which includes a stall), no training, and I pay more than $300 a month!
default_unsure.png

Boy, I want to board where you others board - it's so cheap!!

I think it depends on your area, back when I had a standard horse there was a lady with minis that was boarding at the same place I was. She worked out that 2 minis went in one 12*12 stall for the same cost as a big one.

Board in my area general runs 350 for full care stall or 250 for a run in and small paddock - I've seen 600 a mth for facilities with indoor or covered. And the small paddock run in is alot harder to find in general as DFW, TX is land locked, I live on the northern outskirts and that was what it still cost to be close to town but not too far out. IE I could find 200 a mth for stall and only one turn out - so everyone has to get along but it was an hour drive each way (gas prices aside) that would make it hard to go see my horse after work.

What you will probably run into is the boarding facility wants to fill the spot, the fact that your mini is going to eat less may or may not make the owner of the facility take a little bit off but alot of them see it as a stall/space and it is rented out weather its a big or small one.

I am currently looking at boarding and training my stallion for a mth or two - we are in the basic beginings of driving long lineing and while I can do this at my home. I have one acre, fairly level that is cross fenced so I could use the back 1/3 of the acre to work in but footing, not having a 'real' arena as well as TX weather making it hard to work consistantly without a covered. For my situation saftey wise I think its worth some money to have a safe enclosed arena vs a back paddock and or my street - and I think that driving adds even more dangers to IF something goes wrong it can go wrong in a big way.

Good luck

Oh Suz I feel for you, I lived in WPB area til 1999 and know what I paid to board out in Royal palm/ lox area at that time. South FL has become SOOO much more land locked now and more and more horse farms have been taken down to make way for more zero lot line homes/developments.

Last time I was 'home' for a visit Royal palm / Loxahatchee area is turning more into developments and pushing horse ('country") folks right to the edge of lake Okeechobee / the glades.

And its major BIG bucks if you try and stay anywhere near Wellington (where the winter equestrian festival is held) even in off season then you get kicked out all together or to the not so nice barn.

And yes Suz brings up some of the good points - having them in your back yard is wonderful but the trade off is sometimes it seems like your doing more chores than anything else

For sure, boarding has its good and bad points. Heres just a few to consider:

Pros

Obviously the amount of work you dont have to do

Pasture, stall cleang etc

Cons

Costs

Haveing to drive, not seeing them

And then my biggest problem: Its the owners barn, and their rules
default_no.gif

I board my guy for $60 a month for Full board. Jay has his own paddock and free access barn.

Heather

Latest posts

Back