Boarding???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrat

Reaction score
Hello,

I have some friends who rented 1 of thier stalls out. Unfortunately, They are starting to feel like they are being taken advantage of, it is a awesome arrangement for the boarder. Mini's are getting alot of attention and great care. This is not a boarding stable - just a family that has 2 minis and then they rented a stall to a person who also has 2 mini's. These mini's get full care!

My question is how much do you charge for full care board? And do you have a signed contract for insurance reasons. Or a waiver of sometype so a boarder couldn't sue for something ridiculus. ( like a mini escape artist who gets loose and gets himself into trouble) Luckily, all has been ok but these are some concerns my friends have thought of since they agreed to take them in.

Feel free to PM me If you'd rather not make it a public issue. I have more details I'd like to tell but it would probably be better to do it privately.

Thanks for any input
default_smile.png

Hi there, I can tell you what full board goes for around here for a mini or big horse, most places will charge the same price regardless. I do board mine, but i "rough" board. I supply everything and take care of them daily. I pay $85 per stall. Full board depending on location and what is included can range anywhere from $300 - $1000. So I'm guessing that isn't too helpful.

As for the contract, YES! Always have a contract when boarding, it not only protects the barn owner, but it protects the "renter". The contract should clearly state what the monthly board price includes and what is expected of the renter.

Hope this was a little helpful
default_smile.png

GET IT IN WRITING

I cannot stress that enough- I really can't.

I charge $160.00 a month, all in, but that is care as I see fit- ie they are at grass, stalled if needs be, fed, wormed, farrier, everything except their shots and their Vet care.

Get it in writing.

I am about to put it up to $200.00 but it is still not very much, basically because they fit in with me, rather than the other way round,

By the way did I tell you to get it in writing???
default_smile.png

Whew! Being taken advantage of is a understatment, I guess!

Then they said they would knock X$ off if the boarder worked with their daughter and her minis. Everyone seemed happy. But due to busy life styles there hasn't been anytime for this boarder to work with her own ponies let alone work with the girl and her minis. So the barn owner is getting the short end of the deal. They enjoy having the minis there and hate to make a fuss, but....

The barn owners are new to horses and thought it would be great to have this person w/ some experience board with them. The owners have really changed the barn around and everything to accomidate the boarder and the way she wanted things. I'm just so dissappointed in her for not even attempting to pay full board since she hasn't been able to keep up her end of the bargin.

I plan on sending the barn owner a link to this post in order to help give them a little direction on how to handle this situation.

I would love to have some help telling them how to write up a contract so they have something to back them up.

Anyone who can help us out but may not want to post publically can email me at [email protected] or PM me.

Thanks J&HMinis and Rabbitfizz for your help. I thought the arrangment was a little off.

NOW we just have to figure out how to get it in writing and what to put in writing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whew! Being taken advantage of is a big understatment, I guess!

For both mini's combined they asked $100. Which is full care, 1 stall, and free range of several acres ( I think hay and grain too but not sure).

Then they said they would knock $50 off if the boarder worked with their daughter and her minis. Everyone seemed happy. But due to busy life styles there hasn't been anytime for this boarder to work with her own ponies let alone work with the girl and her minis. So the barn owner is getting the short end of the deal. They enjoy having the minis there and hate to make a fuss, but they are being taken advantage of! I introduced these people which is why I'm even involved, not really my business but the barn owner expressed concern to me and I feel terrible they are being taken advantage of.

The barn owners are new to horses and thought it would be great to have this person w/ some experience board with them. The owners have really changed the barn around and everything to accomidate the boarder and the way she wanted things. I'm just so dissappointed in her for not even attempting to pay full board since she hasn't been able to keep up her end of the bargin.

I plan on sending the barn owner a link to this post in order to help give them a little direction on how to handle this situation.

I would love to have some help telling them how to write up a contract so they don't get run over any worse than they already have.

Anyone who can help us out but may not want to post publically can email me at [email protected] or PM me.

Thanks J&HMinis and Rabbitfizz for your help. I thought the arrangment was a little off.

NOW we just have to figure out how to get it in writing and what to put in writing.
I would agree, if the boarder is only paying $50 for "full" board on two minis, your friends are getting the short end of the stick. I would be surprised if their "blanket" farm insurance policy premium increase is even being met with those $$, let alone the feed, and time they spend. They did notify their insurance carrier, right? Commercial ventures like this need to have an extra rider generally to cover the increased liability risk.

I board out one horse. It is "full board," which to most in my part of the country means, all feed, hay, daily turnout, stall, stall cleaned daily, secure tack storage, and the free use of a an indoor heated arena. In these parts that runs $400-700 a month. The less the facility offers, both in terms of physical structures, and degree of care, the less the board bill. There are pasture board barns available where the horses are hustled in once a day for grain (not always though), hay is fed outside where they fend for themselves, but you have tack storage, and lovely heated indoor. Those run more in the $250-300 range.

If your friends asked for $100, but knocked off $50 for "help," I would imagine the problem would be easily corrected by stating the obvious..."You don't seem to have had the time necessary to fulfill the $50 discount we offered you. We would appreciate it if you would pay the full board amount until you do have the time to work with....." Perhaps use that meeting as the opportunity to present the written contract. Most have a liability waiver, and state what is going to be provided, what the boarder is allowed/expected to do (sweep aisles, pick up manure in the arena before leaving, etc.), and what the payment is, and when it is expected. Most standard contracts require payment by the 3rd day after it is due, or will be assessed a $20 late fee. Most also include a clause about notice before terminating a lease. Generally, 30 days notice to be provided by the boarder, or the owner, if they want to get out of the boarding business, for example.

A suggestion from experience. THese type arrangements never work out. Eventually the one that is supposed to be kicking in the help cant live up to the arrangement for one reason or another. It may even be a very legitimate reason, but that does not get the work done.

What I now do is state the cost of board, full board. I then will deduct X amount for time spent helping with things around the barn. They are responsible for marking the calendar on the days they come and help and if it is not written down and I have not written it down, it does not get counted.

BTW, I charge 150 board and that is full care not including vet and farrier.

Cost of board depends so much on where you live! Board is generally quite expensive here. Where I am at now is unusually low and it is $115 a mini.

I have 3 horses that I board at a stable. One is an andalusion, and the 2 minis (that live in one stall). I pay the same for both stalls. If I had only one mini, I would still be charged the same rate, as that is what the owner would get for the stall if someone else was paying for it. Unless the stalls are specifically set up as little ones for minis, I would not expect to get a price break.

The barn I board my Mini at charges $100 for full care, but during the summer months it's basically paddock/ lean-to cover and feed...stall only if required (no extra cost). Of course when weather is bad and during winter months, a stall is provided.

I have in the past paid less per horse for "pasture" care only.

My daughter has her horse staying at a friend of her for $0 cost (except for vet/farrier/vaccines, etc) and they are providing feed. It isnt a "lease"; they just wanted a buddy for their other Mini and agreed (in writing) to care for my daughter's horse while she is in college...can't beat that!

YES, have everything in writing!!

Edited to add that where I board is a Miniature Horse farm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I board my big horse and my mini at the same place. I pay $30 for my mini, but I clean his stall, provide his food, and work the BO's mini (noone else works with him and hes wayy out of shape) She wanted a mini to keep hers company, since he cant be around the big horses. She also knocks me a deal because she knows I free lease my big mare to my little cousin who currently has a lot going on in her home.

I board 2 minis at my neighbor's house, and she wrote up a contract for both of us (I've known her for 18 years). I pay her $100 month, and that only pays for me to keep them on her property and access to her water and dumpster. I am responsible for everything else including their care, feedings, etc.

Thanks for all they replies! You've all been helpful.

I found a few sample contracts online. Some are long and very detailed. They'll probably use them as examples but then try to simplify it alittle.

Can it be something as simple as a written agreement saying they waive any liability for injury to mini or cause by mini or injury to the boarder if she were to get hurt while there working with her minis and monthly amount?

Thanks Again!

Latest posts

Back