Bluebonnet Feeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
Bluebonnet feeds are probably only available in the south, particularly Oklahoma and Texas, and I was wondering if anybody fed their equine feeds. Especially the Equilene line of horse feeds. Wondering about the results and consistency if anybody has fed this for awhile. It appears that they have high quality feedstuffs at reasonable prices.

Bluebonnet feeds are probably only available in the south, particularly Oklahoma and Texas, and I was wondering if anybody fed their equine feeds. Especially the Equilene line of horse feeds. Wondering about the results and consistency if anybody has fed this for awhile. It appears that they have high quality feedstuffs at reasonable prices.
I used to feed a 10% mixed grain they produced. I got it at TSC. I was happy with it, but switched to a pelleted feed with a higher protein that I got from a local feed mill.

Of course, I was not feeding show horses, but was happy with it for my purposes. That probably didn't help you a lot.
default_wacko.png

Thanks,Freeland.
default_smile.png
I'm mostly interested in a couple of their feeds and just curious if anyone here has fed them and what their experience has been.

Becky I tried to feed it for a while but the dealer was not able to get a consistant supply and would be out a lot of times. I liked the feed when I could get it but finally gave up on finding a dealer that was close to home who had a consistant supply when I needed it.

Good luck if you us it.

Thanks, Davie. I've purchased a couple of their feeds and am going to try them out. Bluebonnet lists exact ingredients and I like what I see. Hopefully, the feeds will work well for me. I shouldn't have any problems getting it at one local feed store.

Becky, I've been feeding the Equilene 14/6 for well over a year now and have been really pleased with it. They did a seminar here locally to introduce some of their feeds, and I was impressed with the quality of ingredients & the fact that they are consistent. No changes in feed or ingredient quality from one load to the next. My horses like it & do well (and it actually smells good enough to eat lol). They did have a pretty good price hike earlier this year but I guess that's hit everyone. How much are you paying up there? My only small gripe is that it's not available everywhere. I buy it at one feed store, they are open more limited hours and if they are out I'm stuck. Hasn't really been a problem, just requires a little more planning ahead.

I still have a couple of horses on Purinas Eq Senior because I hate to rock the boat - colic surgery survivors - but everyone else now is on Equilene.

Let me know how you like it.

Jan

Never fed it to my horses because nobody around me sells it. But when I was in high school alot of us fed Bluebonnet feeds to our show calves and sheep. And they did excellent on it.

Jan, thank you!! That's exactly what I wanted to know. Equilene 14/6 are the feeds I am looking at. Both textured and pelleted versions. I picked some up over the weekend. I've started some show horses on the textured version and am using the pelleted version for my nursing mares, weanlings, yearlings and 2 yr olds.

I've been feeding Progressive Nutritions' Growth formula feeds to those groups of horses, but my one feed store isn't keeping the textured version in stock and I'm just not happy with the pelleted version being all soy based.

I did a lot of research on feeds carried by my local feed stores and the Bluebonnet feeds stood out as they list exact ingredients and you know what you are feeding.

I was interested in Bluebonnet's Intensify Growth formula, but my feed store doesn't keep it in stock, though they could order it for me. I was afraid that might be a problem as in it not coming in on the truck, so I'd rather feed something they stock regularly. I like the looks of the Equilene feeds and it does smell good!

Glad to know the feed stays the same from one batch to the next. I paid $15.99 for the textured and $13.49 for the pelleted version. I'm hoping for great results!

I just picked up some Equilene this afternoon and it has dropped back down to $13.90 here. Let me know how you like the textured version, I have not tried it. Over the years I've fed a lot of Purina, I've used Safe Choice/Safe & Sound, and the Platform mini feed. Bluebonnet is the first thing I've found that seems to work well for everybody.

Jan

Latest posts

Back